Oil leak (sprocket) and possible remedies

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
duranmendoza
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Oil leak (sprocket) and possible remedies

Post by duranmendoza »

Hi,

Posting again to see if anyone has had any leaks on there singles coming from the front drive sprocket? I took the bike out for a short slow ride ( 5 miles ) and there is a fair amount of oil spray from the chain and when the bike is satiation art it has a noticeable drip. Oil is pooling under the front sprocket, and I am curious if this is common? Looking on the engine diagram there doesn't appear to be a replaceable seal, and from research I heard that the bearing acts as the seal, is that true?

I guess just looking for general advice on how to tackle this if anyone has any advice.

Thanks,
Duran
Robin172
Mariana

Re: Oil leak (sprocket) and possible remedies

Post by Robin172 »

Yes it is quite common to get a leak behind the drive sprocket. The only way to stop it is to replace the bearing, which is a shielded/sealed one.
duranmendoza
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by duranmendoza »

Robin, thanks.

I took a look at some parts on
http://www.ducaticlassics.com/Parts/Mod ... 68-75SC10/

I assume parts 5,6 &7 need to be replaced?, but do you know of a way to get these cheaply?

Again thanks so much for letting me know that this isn't something out of the ordinary, I was a little worried.

Duran
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Check the vent tube of the crankcase : if the inside is blocked or too narrow, the seal of the sprocket is the first sign.
Be sure the nut that holds the sprocket is tight.

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”