HELP! Front wheel bearings

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
drikko
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

HELP! Front wheel bearings

Post by drikko »

My front wheel has the two bearing carriers as per the photo:-

It would appear the spacer has to go between the bearings on the axle like such:-

Now here's the problem, the gap between the inner faces of the bearing holders seems to be about .5mm to big for the hub of the wheel so when one bolts it up there's a lot of pressure on the spacer between the two bearings and the bearings stop turning!! I checked the faces of the bearings and they are flat, could the original bearings have had slightly shorter inners than outers thereby giving the spacer some more clearance? Or does the spacer belong somewhere else? It was on the axle when I went to put it together and I'm usually pretty good about keeping bits together where they belong....

I have had a look at the parts drawings and I can't see one which has the separate bearing holders like mine.

CONFUSED!!!
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Re: HELP! Front wheel bearings

Post by ducadini »

Good thing You have .5 mm clearance.
The spacer between SHOULD be a bit longer. If it was too short, You would be bolting down the bearingcarriers and it would float between the bearings and then when tightening the axle, You would put a stress on the bearings (being pulled to eachother) which will not clear until one of the bearings is defect.
Of course You cleaned everything before putting it together so no dirt is between the bearing and its carrier, and made a tag to put all the parts back together like they were fitted.
Put one carrier on a plate to heat it so the bearing can be persuaded out a little bit.
Then bolt everyting into place,with the spacer fitted and held on its place with the axle.
When tightening the axle You will pull one bearing towards the other ( put a bit of strain on the axle, then tap the bearings outer shell to push it a bit deeper in the carrier) untill the spacer between the bearings is tight and the wheel still turns free.
Yes, one of the bearings isn't completely seated in the carrier but they won't be floating all over the place.
or
Put the spacer in a lathe and shorten it (in steps of .1 mm as not to make it too short) and repeat until it fits.
or
Turn a few spacers with 0.1 mm increments and fit the correct one and sell the rest (no real market for these)

Then put the wheel in and check to center it between forklegs.

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
drikko
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: HELP! Front wheel bearings

Post by drikko »

Awesome, yep that worked a treat thanks. I tweaked both bearings out about .25mm or so, bolted it all up and while the spacer is tight into the bearings it isn't tight enough to stop then turning easily, stuck the wheel back on, tightened it all up and it's as good as new. Thanks for that!! Another problem solvered. Had to clean out all the gunge from the speedo drive as well.

Thanks!!

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”