Pressing a V Twin crank

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Chris Bushell
Parallel Twin

Pressing a V Twin crank

Post by Chris Bushell »

Guys,

I am hoping that smeone may be able to answer the above question. It looks like I am going to end up stripping and cleaning out a pair of 860 cranks in the near future and I was wondering how big a press I am going to need to press the flywheels off the big end pin?

I have a 10 Ton one and have access to a 20 Ton one - if it is higher than that then I am going to have to look further afield!

Chris
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: Pressing a V Twin crank

Post by wdietz186 »

If you knock out the blanking plugs on the crankpin you can clean the sludge out. Some high pressure/solvent can clean the passages in the driveside crankwheel.
I once tried to press apart of of my ruined cranks and ended up bending the 5/8"or so plates I had under the wheel.I can't remember the tonnage of the press but it wasn't a small one. Unless the pin is impacted with crap you should be able to get away with just a cleaning.
Chris Bushell
Parallel Twin

Post by Chris Bushell »

Part of the problem is that both engines have been standing for many years. In the case of the 900GTS the last road tax shows as being the end of 86!

I am looking to split to check the condition of the rods, bearings and pin more than anything. Cleaning out all of the muck is something to do whilst it is apart. It is just not worth taking a risk that there may be some corrosion or abnormal wear and then I do a big end within a 1000 miles and have to strip again.

Chris
big phil
Mariana

Post by big phil »

hi chris. i have just done this on a 860 gt and you will definitely need the 20 ton press. , a little tip, make sure you get ann engineers square beforehand and scribe a line accross both webs somewhere so when it comes time to press together you have a decent starting point for trueness. then, dont press it all the way home till you have the squareness as accurate as possible.
theres a certain quality in quantity

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”