where does the oil go

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
coloradodutch
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

where does the oil go

Post by coloradodutch »

I'm considering feeding the crankshaft with an external oil line from the top of oil filter housing to clutch cover and
blocking original passage. does anyone know what happens to the oil after it leaves the pump? Any thoughts on the subject would be helpful.
Thanks.
The older I get the faster I was
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: where does the oil go

Post by wdietz186 »

The oil leaves the pump and feeds both the cross drilling and a tube cast into the cases that supplies oil to the vert. and horiz. cylinders. between the cyls. is a small drilling that feeds the oil filter housing.The filter is a partial flow filter,meaning only a small portion of the oil being pumped is routed through the filter. removing the restriction and blocking the cross feed could net the reroute you are thinking about but is it worth the effort? Is the bike ridden hard enough or long enough to need any modification to the oiling system? If you are trying to increase the volume of oil to the crank,restricting the oil to the heads will help in that respect along with a higher volume pump. If it is about cooler oil going to the crank remember that you are dealing with a gallon of oil that takes a long time to heat up and in normal riding your temps are unlikely to exceed 250F unless you are really hammering it. If you just think it looks cool you could run the lines but not re plumb and nobody would be the wiser. Read Kevin Bracken's article on building his race engine for some insight.
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

I agree. A pointless waste of time and money. I've ridden my SS in furnace-like temperatures and it just lapped it up. The rider will give up before the bike does.

Does anyone actually seriously race these bikes anymore?

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Yes, there are owners who really use their Ducati for what it was made for.
Spa-Francorchamps and Imola now host the 4hour classic endurance races.
The Ducatis are no match for the 100hp+ fours (although the Motobel Guzzi is always very near the frontrunners) but the nothing beats the sound of a Duc at 9000 rpm, just a pity there's a noise-limit.
Anyone remember the first race-kit for the SS : included an aluminium oil-cooler but more for cooler heads then crank-cooling.

cu
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
coloradodutch
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by coloradodutch »

Yes thank you
I raced ducatis for 20 yrs. I dont run as hard as I once did at 62, :rad: I still get the bug once in a while and I need this crank to live A long fruitful life. Besides someone has to keep the jap. bikes in line.
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

Im still racing mine, doing the Phillip Island Classic again in January 2013.
Its a blast! Yes, the 180HP Jappers just make a mockery of the P5 field in Forgotten Era in OZ, but , I still have fun, and it sounds wonderful being on the thing at 8000-8500 rpm (Im not game for 9000, cant afford to keep replacing cases /internals).
I know in OZ there are a few bevel race bikes out there and a few "hot rods" in sheds that guys want to race but they havent yet made it out there, but, I guess now days with Bevels being wonderful but I hate to say it," uncompetitive in the present field" bike, its got to be the fun factor and personal bests we aim for. There are a couple of quick guzzis and a few quick laverdas around out here too now, which are fun to chase.
Ducati racing seems more competitive in OZ historics in P4 FE (750 + cc pantahs (TT2's etc), and in the 500 class with 500 pantahs)
And yes , the engines get damn hot! If I was doing a 4hr endurance race I would definately want an oil cooler setup. The 5 or 6 lap events we get here get it damn hot, but bearable.
They are bikes, and machines made to use, just a pity parts are so damn expensive and sometimes hard to find.......
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica
coloradodutch
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by coloradodutch »

My intention was not to get more or cooler oil to the crank (although that wouldnt be so bad) but to get oil to the crank faster on cold starts as this may be contributing to excessive big end rod wear and side clearance issues.
So, I guess my goal is to restrict oil where I can may be at the heads and the oil filter stand and get a dedicated line to feed the crank

Cheers,

Henk
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

Hey Grant,

Can you ride like this?

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=3257034066044

Cheers,

Bruce