Which Ignition Switch?

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
sportster_restorer
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Which Ignition Switch?

Post by sportster_restorer »

I'm slowly resurrecting my 75 860, which is probably as much of a mix of bikes than anything else. Well, I know the frame is stamped with 1/75 on the steering head.

I've hopefully (if my posting pics works) posted a pic of the bike overall, and another one of what appears to be an area between the guages for what I think is an ignition switch. I'm betting this entire mount isn't 75 860, but exactly what is it? Which ignition switch goes there, if any? I measured the hole with a micrometer, and it looks like its around 1.2", which is way larger than the ignition switch that came with the botched up harness. BTW, the bracket on the side of the bike where I think the ignition switch is supposed to go isn't there.

And here's what is on top of the upper triple clamp.

So:
a. What is that bracket from?
b. Does an ignition switch go into that hole?
C. If so, what switch?

And yes, I know I need to put a lot of elbow grease into the bike. Its been in my shed for 12 years and just saw light of day this August.

Thanks everyone
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: Which Ignition Switch?

Post by wdietz186 »

I think that bracket is from a 500 twin or Pantah.It looks like the 750 sport setup but they didn't have the switch up top. As to what switch you use will depend on you,whatever will fit and work.You will probably be best off rewiring the bike anyway as the orig. harness leaves much to be desired. Looks like you have an intresting project at hand.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Nice! I used to own one, back in the day. A bike not without its problems ;) , but ...

Looks like it's pretty much all there. Pity it's lost its original tank and side panels, but good that it's still got the correct seat. Also, I see someone's converted it to right side shift.

Btw, if you want to get the proper instrument panel, Damien Birch does them:
http://bevelrubber.com.au/cart/index.ph ... ucts_id=56

Ciao

Craig
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

FYI we stock most of bevel rubber's offerings here in the USA at Bevel Heaven

and for an Ignition switch
https://store.bevelheaven.com/electrics ... h-3-prong/
another option https://store.bevelheaven.com/electrics ... ff-switch/
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
sportster_restorer
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Thanks for the info Steve. But on the bikes that used the instruments and key switch mount as shown on my bike, where did the indicator lights go? Like for oil pressure, charging, high/low beam and turn signals? I've got the guages that go into the mounts, and there doesn't seem to be a place for any indicator lights there.

Main reason I'm asking is that eventually I'll need to get the thing inspected. The inspection Nazis here in Austin won't really care about oil pressure or charging, but they sure as heck will flunk a bike without a high beam indicator.

Don't even ask how much fun I had trying to explain to the twentysomething inspector that my 1960 Sportster (with magneto ignition and no battery, stock from HD in 1960) couldn't run its lights with the engine off.

I see beater bikes that were flat out dangerous, with recent inspection stickers, and just shake my head.

Thanks
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

Your 860GT originally had a flexible plastic instrument panel with five warning lights - generator, indicators, high beam, neutral, lights - and a city/country horn switch. Oil pressure wasn't one of the functions. I can't really say what your bike is fitted with now - it could be parts from a later GTS model which had the warning lights fitted between the instruments. You will have to search to find a photo of this set-up as I don't have one. In any case it will probably be difficult to find all the parts you need so you may end up fabricating your own panel.

You should be able to figure out the functions using a wiring diagram.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
Craig in France
Paso 906

sportster_restorer wrote:On the bikes that used the instruments and key switch mount as shown on my bike, where did the indicator lights go?
Like Bill said, one Ducati (and the only one that I can immediately think of) that used that kind of bracket was the 750 Sport.* In which case, the idiot lights went in the top of the headlamp. Like this ...(courtesy Bevel Heaven, btw :) )

*Btw, Bill, acording to Ian F, the bracket on the 1974 models DID have a hole. But it was for the two-tone horn switch, not an ignition switch.

But yours isn't a 750 Sport mount. I think what you've got - and assuming it's a Ducati part in the first place :shock: - is one part of a GTL mount. And yep, it was the other part that had the idiot lights. Like this:

sportster_restorer
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Craig:

Thanks for helping unraveling the mystery. I'm going to bet that panel shown on the drawing where the idiot lights were is made of unobtanium.

Actually, I'm thinking more and more that restoring the bike back to 100% originality won't really be worth the investment. If it were a green frame, or a desmo, perhaps. But it ain't.

I've been seriously thinking about more just having fun and kinda hotrodding it, or resto-modding it. My back and hips can't really do rearsets and clipons, so making it a kind of tribute bike is out for me.

I've been thinking more of making a street custom, have fun-with-it bike. So talking a look at Speedhut's instruments, and a speedo/tach bracket from a late Sportster that has all the idiot lights the brain-dead Inspection Nazis here can stare at. It'll take some welding and adapting, but that's fun to me.

One question I do have. Where the heck is the stock location for the key switch on a 75 860? I thought it was below the left side of the gas tank, but there's no bracket on the frame for one.
Craig in France
Paso 906

sportster_restorer wrote: Thanks for helping unraveling the mystery. I'm going to bet that panel shown on the drawing where the idiot lights were is made of unobtanium. Actually, I'm thinking more and more that restoring the bike back to 100% originality won't really be worth the investment. If it were a green frame, or a desmo, perhaps. But it ain't.

No worries.
1. As it goes, there are more Parallel Twin parts about that you might think :? . But that said - no, I've never seen one of those instrument panel thingies.

2. Agree: I couldn't advise you to restore the bike back to its original in the hope of making money. You'd do it 'cos you like the bike, not for the money. I know Phil Aynsley did a top-notch resto of one a little while ago and that sold well. But I'm not sure he made any money on it ... Main thing is not to butcher any original parts. Like you say: much better to get new custom stuff that suits you, and just put the originals to one side.
sportster_restorer wrote:One question I do have. Where the heck is the stock location for the key switch on a 75 860? I thought it was below the left side of the gas tank, but there's no bracket on the frame for one.
Yeh, that's where it should be ... Just a thought: what's the frame number?
sportster_restorer
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

The number that's stamped on the steering head is what I'm assuming is the frame number. It appears to be 850232. I read this from the shed where the bike is back in suspended animation. I didn't remove the headlight like I should have to get a more direct look at the numbers.
sportster_restorer
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

One thing I forgot to post earlier was that there appears to be no bracket on the frame for an ignition switch. Can't tell if the bracket was removed by someone, or if it was never there. Anyone have a good close-up pics of the ignition switch bracket? From some bikes I've seen, the bracket looks like a simple flat piece of mild steel welded to the frame rails.

Thanks to all for the help
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

The holder for the ign. switch bolted on at the left fuel tank mount.Just an L shaped bracket.
The indicator lights on the GTL were part of that panel,they were LEDs and some of them actually worked! but you could only see them at night. It is expensive but the Motogadget gauge assy is a neat package and has everything and more in one unit.

Craig, I'm not that well versed in the Sport stuff.After I got my SS I tried to ignore the riff-raff! Ha Ha Ha!

Bill

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”