'75 900ss screen trim question

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
in-two
Diana

'75 900ss screen trim question

Post by in-two »

Well, my resto is as finished as it ever will be, the bike started on the first rotation of the crank with the ignition on, runs crisply and nearly idles. I'll post pics and thanks to lots of people who helped shortly. In the meantime I can indulge in fixing a few details, I've had the bike from nearly new, I bought it in 1977 and it only had a few thousand klicks on it. When I stopped riding it regularly, in the late '80s it had a 'Ballanti Roberto' screen on the fairing, clear Plexiglass, with a small ,square vinyl sticker. I've still got this and it's scratched to hell but not cracked. I can't remember if this was original, or a later OEM replacement as I dumped the bike several times on eventfull trips across Europe (including being thrown in gaol by the Swiss for speeding, no sense of humour, those guys). Anyway, the BR screen has a plastic edge trim that was originally black with a chrome stripe which has long since peeled off. I've fitted a plain pattern screen that I can actually see through and have a sticker, but wonder if it's worth the effort of tracing some trim.
Can anybody tell me if '75 the bikes left the factory with a BR screen with trim? Even better, anyone know of a source, it's u profile, about 8mm deep, fits 2mm Plexi, with a chrome finish on the outer edge, it's actually fairly ugly, but I'll have a go if it's original.
Here's a You Tube link of me wobbling off on its first ride for more than 20 years, just to amuse you all!

http://youtu.be/nIOGDbJVYrU
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Re: '75 900ss screen trim question

Post by Peter Mille »

Great video, great bike!

^>^
notanumber
Mariana

Post by notanumber »

I think what you're after has unfortunately just ended on eBay # 170903219981
Mine has this same trim on it, black with a central silver ('chrome') section. Sorry not see your question sooner!
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

in-two wrote: Can anybody tell me if '75 the bikes left the factory with a BR screen with trim?
As with many components out-sourced by Ducati at the time, I suspect it's going to be difficult to be definitive about this :-D ...

On the one hand, the trim DOES feature in the 1975-1976 parts book I have. It's illustrated as part of the screen, not as a stand-alone item, under part# 0797.03.780.*

* The scan is of the page of the American market variations, but only because it's a bit clearer than the non-US page of the parts book.

On the other hand, it DOESN'T show:

1. In the December 1975 edition of the owner's handbook. (Sorry, the page is not scanning well, so I'm afraid you'll have to take my word for it ... ;) )

2. On what I believe to be the 1975 brochure:

Nor does it appear in the 1976 brochure:

That said, in his "Original Ducati Sport & Super Sport", Ian Falloon has photos of a 1976 bike showing both sticker and trim ... But, on that bike, I don't see the 'Plexiglass' (and other stuff) that is often (always? Seems to be the case with the later ones ...) moulded into the screen (down below, on the right). So it could well be a replacement screen.

And, as you suggest, that is going to be part of the problem: most original screens will have long gone west, and been replaced. But, in any event, I haven't yet found a period photo of a 1975 model with the trim (or Ballanti sticker or Plexiglass moulding)
in-two wrote:Even better, anyone know of a source ..
Unfortunately, no. Certainly by the mid 1980s, it was no longer available from Ducrappi. It's possible that Roberto Ballanti may have gone out of business by then. I don't know of any alternative supply, either; nor of anywhere else, i.e. other bike, other car, other non-vehicle, where it might have been used.

HTH

Craig
Craig in France
Paso 906

Craig in France wrote: It's possible that Roberto Ballanti may have gone out of business by then.
Strange where internet searches will lead you ...

It appears that a successor company - at least - is still in business.

Fibreglas G.B. Di Ballanti G. & C.
V. Caduti Di Ustica, 20
40012 Calderara Di Reno (Bo)
ITALY

Tel: +39 051 727 612

Now, according to Ian Falloon, Fibreglas GB was the trading name of the company that supplied the initial batch of Greenframe bodywork (and possibly for the singles?); and later became Roberto Ballanti.

Anyone want to phone them up ? :-D

Ciao

Craig
Peter Mille

Post by Peter Mille »

Do you mean the trim around the edges of the screen?
If so, I'm sure you will find it at the "Technoclassica" in Essen, Germany next year.
Every year, there's a stand with all sorts of trim, they have a real huge collection...!!
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

Craig,
Thanks for comprehensive and very useful reply, more than I deserve!
I'm lucky enough to have the original parts book for my bike which has been hugely helpful, although, as you point out, they just stuck stuff on that they had to hand in the factory. I will keep looking for the trim as it might stiffen up the screen a bit, I now think that I probably did replace the screen with the BR trimmed one at some time in the late '70s. There are also a number of other small 'non standardisms' which I have retained just because it makes my bike mine! The most serious of these is the rear subframe, which cracked and fell off on a memorable trip to the Bol d'Or in '78, I claim that the pillion passenger with 34 litres of beer in a rucksack had nothing to do with it... Anyway with the help of a mate at Rickmans who fabricated a new one out of real steel, and fancy mountings for a Krauser rack (more beer capacity), it now makes the rear end look a bit odd, but only to knowledgeable rivet counters.
Thanks again, In-Two
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

I'm pretty sure that the 75 used the same fairing and screen as the 74 greenframe - no trim was used. I'm not sure about the the 76 and 77, but certainly at some point the fairing shape changed and so did the screen. Certainly the 78 was a different fairing to the 75 and the 78 screen was an RB labelled plexiglas screen with the trim. Here's some pics of a genuine 78 screen. The RB sticker came with a replacement screen in the day - you had to put it on yourself.

It's not the same screen as a 75.

Kev
Craig in France
Paso 906

Jeez, Kev, that's a right rare bit of kit :shock:. An un-cracked, un-scratched and generally un-molested Ballanti screen ...

Good info too, btw :) <>. Didn't know that about the sticker, for example.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Peter Mille wrote:Do you mean the trim around the edges of the screen?
If so, I'm sure you will find it at the "Technoclassica" in Essen, Germany next year.
Every year, there's a stand with all sorts of trim, they have a real huge collection...!!
Do you go, Peter? If so, I could be a taker, if you find some - need it for my Dramah SS.

Ciao

Craig
Peter Mille

Post by Peter Mille »

I go almost every year, so I will have a look for the trim!
But without an example, it's going to be difficult, because they sell so many different kinds of trim there...!!
Why don't you go yourself, it's not that far away if you're in France....!

http://www.siha.de/tce_uk.php?m=1&ms=1
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

Guys,
Many thanks for your help, I've had alook at some old pics and discovered one of the bike soon after I bought it with no screen. This explains a lot, I think they left the factory with no trim, so I think I'll take the opportunity to "do nothing"!
Machten's screen is identical to the one I must have fitted in about '78, I wish mine was as good now.
I'll post some pics shortly.
Cheers
In-two
'75 900 SS
Peter Mille

Post by Peter Mille »

When I bought my new Mille, back in 1985, it came with black instead of red frontforks, also the dustcaps on the frontfork were not there, the factory was short of them....!!

:vroom:
Craig in France
Paso 906

Peter Mille wrote:I go almost every year, so I will have a look for the trim! But without an example, it's going to be difficult, because they sell so many different kinds of trim there...!!
It shows pretty well in Kev's photo. And, as in-two said, it's shape is very simple: just a 'U', the long arm of the 'U' about 8mm long, and the channel being c.2mm across.

EDIT: I should add: you'll find see loads of simple black trim. It's the chrome capping that makes all the difference ...

I guess the best idea would be to take some photos of anything you see that looks close, and also note down the suppliers name and details. And then we could take it from there ... As often with this kinda stuff, the trick it to find out what else it was used on. Probably some little scooter - or maybe an Italian speed boat? :o . And sudenly you find it's readily available and 'as cheap as chips', to use an English expression!
Peter Mille wrote:Why don't you go yourself, it's not that far away if you're in France....!
Nice idea but ... Montpellier to Essen = 1000 km. And the same going back ;). Bit far, for €20 of trim ... :-D .
Peter Mille wrote:When I bought my new Mille, back in 1985, it came with black instead of red frontforks, also the dustcaps on the frontfork were not there, the factory was short of them....!!
Yeh, seems the Milles suffered more than most ... "Sign of the Times", for sure. Must have been absolute confusion and despondancy at the factory at the time.
Peter Mille

Post by Peter Mille »

Graig,

I used to go two or three days together with my wife in an Etap Hotel, we visited the Technoclassica one day, and did some amazing shopping the other day, or visited a museum or something.
The "Ruhrgebiet" is just an amazing, vibrant place with so many cities, people and possibilities, it's just endless....!!
No we have a child, I go to the Technoclassica just by myself, leave early, drive three hours, spend about 7-8 hours in Essen, and drive three hours return.
As I drive a 150 hp Alfa Romeo GT jtd, and there are no speedlimits in Germany, the drive to and from Essen is just great fun as well...!!
Last year on the way home, I blew up the lower turbo hose, the back of the car was completely covered in black ( Diesel) exhaust soot, as I noticed the other day in daylight....!!
I will notice the address of the trim stand, and post it here though.

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”