900 ss 1981 rear master cyclinder

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
mars747
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

900 ss 1981 rear master cyclinder

Post by mars747 »

hi people, i have a 1981 900ss that i'm restoring,which i'm loving after being off the tools for a few years.I'm having trouble pulling down the REAR master cyclinder,it seems like a slightly different set up to the front master cyclinder(front brake build up is complete),which was easly pulled down with a drift,the rear seems like there is a locking ring which just will not move.Cheers Mars ,help
Last edited by mars747 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in-two
Diana

Re: 900 ss 1981 rear master cyclinder

Post by in-two »

I've just completed exactly this job on my '75 900ss, but I don't know if the rear M/C is the same on the '81. Mine had the conventional Brembo set up of a combined oil seal and annular steel ring on the pedal/lever end that kept the piston in. This is installed by using a tubular drift to swage the steel ring and is removed by putting a thin drift through the pipe union hole at the other end and just drifting the piston out. I think you tried this, and it's the same with the front M/C.
The insructions with the Brembo replacement pistons seem to suggest this Is the way to go with all M/Cs and they can need a bit of force to get them out, but maybe somebody else with an '81 could confirm before you get out the big hammer.
cheers,
in-two
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

just pull the pivot pin for the lever and remove it. Then drive the slave out through the threaded hole opposite end where the banjo bolt screws in same deal as your front MC, uses the same rebuild kits as well, the cap/bellows are smaller then the front, that is the only real difference.,
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
BlackBike
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by BlackBike »

Steve or anyone else with the knowledge. I have a 1978 900SS which I am restoring. Does the rear master cylinder reservoir unscrew from the body?. I am having all the black brake parts painted. They cannot be annodised because of the paint thats on them.

Is there a kit or replacement reservoirs available?.

Thanking you
John
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Yes it unscrews, no replacement reservoirs are available that I am aware of.
BlackBike
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by BlackBike »

Thanks Steve, is it a normal thread on the reservoir?, ie not LH thread, and any suggestions re getting it out. Have tried hot water on the body but 34 years of been in the one place makes it reluctant to move.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

yes - use a strap clamp wrench thing - be careful..........
dukabmw
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by dukabmw »

Hello
I have just removed and dismantled the Darmahs Rear Master Cylinder and found that by very patiently lightly squeezing the open rim of the master cylinder may have loosened it enough to unscrew easily........ Dismantled pic shown

There is a round seal between the reservoir and the bowl, be careful not to damage it you pull it out
Attachments
DSC_0098_3.JPG

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”