'75 900ss front axle/speedo drive weirdness

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
in-two
Diana

Re: '75 900ss front axle/speedo drive weirdness

Post by in-two »

Gentlemen, Steve(s), Craig,
You are all bad! To stay on topic, and not upset Bev Hev Steve, I finally got my wheels laced and true, AM 26's fitted this afternoon, but had to rush off to watch the England vs Sweden Euro 2012 soccer match before finally assembling it all. The pain was reduced by a gaggle of female Swedish supporters and many, many, litres of beer 8) Anyway, I have a few more litres of Mobil 1 5w- 50 standing by, and will take a lot of persuading that a good , modern, synthetic multi grade is not the way to go. This might be influenced by years of cleaning, scrubbing and ultimately scrapping hundreds (well, tens) of filthy kart motor pistons running on bean oil, which is still the best 'in extremis' i.e. when the engine is running so lean that the piston is literally wobbling close to melting point. If I ever get near this on my ss, I'l deserve the consequences. Synthetic was also Steve Wynn's choice in 1978... but please don't start another 'oil thread'.
Small delay caused by the outer 6204 bearings in the rear hub rotating in the steel sleeve, easily fixed by a new set and some green loctite, I remember changing the fronts and some of the rears 20 years ago, but hey, these got away. So, tomorrow might be the day, or I might leave it until Sunday to upset the neighbours with some Conti action.
Thanks again for your interest.
Cheers
in-two
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

Gentlemen, Ladies,
It's a runner!
After a very frustrating day splitting both front calipers again after discovering a leak after they had been filled and bled at length, I finally threw the last bits on, poured in some oil, some petrol and connected up the battery. Had my son standing by with a fire extinguisher, but it didn't self ignite.
So, tickle both carbs until there's petrol on the floor, three squirts on the accelerator pumps, ease over TDC and leap on the kickstarter.... kaboomm, crobba crobba, it started literally first kick, and ran crisply until the neighbours threatened to call the police, well it was 11 pm, but they should get a life.
I still have to put on the fairing and side-panels, and do a bit of 'dress up', as well as actually ride the thing to check for gears ,brakes etc, but I can't tell you how happy am.
After some 100,000 kms hooning around Europe, 20 unloved years under a tarp in a lock up garage, and two years of sporadic and clumsy restoration, she fired up first kick :vroom:
Thanks for all your help, I'll post some pics. shortly
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

:rad:

That's great news.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

in-two wrote:After some 100,000 kms hooning around Europe, 20 unloved years under a tarp in a lock up garage, and two years of sporadic and clumsy restoration, she fired up first kick :vroom:
Nat'. It's a Ducati ... :-D

Good on ya! Photo as and when ...
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

Here's a youtube link for the actual moment of start up, sorry about the wobbly images, I'll start a photo thread when I can persuade the Polish internet to go faster than a seized Cucciolo.
[http://youtu.be/FohIb1v6C_kurl][/url]
'75 900 SS
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

I think I ballsed up the URL, here's another go
http://youtu.be/FohIb1v6C_k
If it doesn't work then just put in" 1975 Ducati 900ss starts first kick"
'75 900 SS
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Yeh, yeh, yeh! :Uwin: :Uwin: <>

Great stuff! Now to get out on the highways and byways ... :vroom: :vroom:

Ciao

Craig

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”