Ignition Switch Boot

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
jumpjg
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Ignition Switch Boot

Post by jumpjg »

Looking to replace the boot that covers the rear of the ignition switch on my 750 Sport. Emailed Bevel Rubber about it a year or so ago, said he was on it but haven't seen one yet. Any reasonable substitutes appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe in St Louis
Joe in St Louis
rwhc80
750 GT

Re: Ignition Switch Boot

Post by rwhc80 »

G'day Joe,

Sorry, can't help with a substitute, but happened by chance to be speaking with Damien Birch today chasing some parts, so I took the opportunity to mention your post. ! He does remember your email, and whilst they are not yet done, advised they are on the list with about 6-7 other urgent components others are chasing.

I guess as a one man show, things take some time. He advised he does all the tooling and moulds himself, for the compenents so it's no wonder new products are slow to arrive !!

Hopefully, someone can give you a trail to follow for an immediate replacement.

Cheers
Rick
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
swooshdave
Diana

Post by swooshdave »

Will that be the same as the 860GT one?
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

Dave,

As I understand it,.......... If it's a late 74 Sport it"s the same as an 860GT, but the earlier sports had a different boot as the ignition was located in a different spot ! ( I think !!! )

Someone may confirm for us ????

Maybe our resident W.A. Sport expert, What's say Kev ?????

Cheers
Rick
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Ohhh! Pressure is on....

And the short answer is that I don't know for sure. The earlier Sports that had the ignition switch on the little frame mounted triangle used a three wire ignition switch in Australia. On/off/park. I have a recollection (but am happy to accept a contradiction) that the later Sports like the 78 specials for Frasers with the ignition switch under mid tank, used a four pole ignition switch that was larger in diameter than earlier switches. Just to confuse things further, I suspect the same smaller diameter switches but with four poles were used on Darmahs - but they didn't need or use a rubber boot cover.

So let me go back to my earlier point. I don't know for sure. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Kev
swooshdave
Diana

Post by swooshdave »

You can see the boot is toast. The PO wrapped it up good in electrical tape but I think in the process it tried to pull the wires out.
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

Yep,

That's looking pretty sad Dave !

I'll be collecting my bits from Mr Birch next week, so I'll let him know the world is waiting !

Can't say i will have any influence on his schedule though !

Cheers
Rick.
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Hey Rick,

Ask Damien when you see him if he's got any plans to make the bosch transducer rubber boots. They were on his list a few years ago, but I dunno if he's had much demand for them.

btw, Swooshdave, just out of interest, are there only thee key positions on that switch? (I confess to near total ignorance about 860 and 900GTs)

Kev
swooshdave
Diana

Post by swooshdave »

machten wrote:Hey Rick,

Ask Damien when you see him if he's got any plans to make the bosch transducer rubber boots. They were on his list a few years ago, but I dunno if he's had much demand for them.

btw, Swooshdave, just out of interest, are there only thee key positions on that switch? (I confess to near total ignorance about 860 and 900GTs)

Kev
Ys, I have no idea what all the wire do. I ran a multimeter on it and only 3 had juice plus a ground. All of the 860 wiring diagrams I've found are faded, I should take the time to try to decipher it a little better.
jumpjg
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jumpjg »

Dave,

The chassis electrical on the 860s is very similar to my late '74 Sport, which had the same key switch & rubber boot as what you have pictured. The three positions of the key switch are on, off, park; the park position only illuminates the instrument lights, tail light, and a low wattage parking light inside the headlight reflector (US models used sealed beams & didn't have the parking light). Look here for an electrical schematic, see Pg 188.

http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/860_work ... dex_12.htm .

Sure wished there was one of these for the round case bikes back in the day. We laughed at the "Coloring Book", i.e. the 750 workshop manual; all that showed was Guido taking an engine apart & putting it back together - no specs like wear limits or torques. I recall being overjoyed when Hanes published their book. Still it lacked the detail given in a proper workshop manual . How did we keep these thing going in the days before 800 phone numbers, much less the internet!

Good Luck,
Joe in St Louis
jumpjg
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jumpjg »

Dave,

Just took a closer look at the 860 schematic I referred to earlier & the ignition switch depicted has 6 terminals instead of four like on my switch. Sorry for any confusion.

Looking at your picture & comparing it to the schematic, looks like a couple of your wires may be installed in the wrong locations. Schematic shows grey in switch contact #1, the solid red & green wires in #2 the red-black wire in #3, the yellow-black wire in #4, the blue wire in #5, and the black(?) which is a chassis ground in #6.
Joe in St Louis
swooshdave
Diana

Post by swooshdave »

jumpjg wrote:Dave,

Just took a closer look at the 860 schematic I referred to earlier & the ignition switch depicted has 6 terminals instead of four like on my switch. Sorry for any confusion.

Looking at your picture & comparing it to the schematic, looks like a couple of your wires may be installed in the wrong locations. Schematic shows grey in switch contact #1, the solid red & green wires in #2 the red-black wire in #3, the yellow-black wire in #4, the blue wire in #5, and the black(?) which is a chassis ground in #6.
Yes to make things more fun the terminals are numbered, but not in order! >:|!!!

So, do you follow the numbers on the plug or the order in the book? :roll:
jumpjg
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jumpjg »

Oh, I didn't think of that! Bloody Italians! :)

I'd follow the numbers. You could always verify the numbers with a multimeter. The schematic shows the connections inside the switch for the 3 positions.
Joe in St Louis

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”