Darmah Headlight Brackets

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
pilotg
Diana

Darmah Headlight Brackets

Post by pilotg »

The sad sad SD that I bought 6 months ago has taken on a new look but there was one bit that just had to go, the headlight brackets.

I bought a pair of Steve's replacement standard brackets and today tried to fit them. I got new top and bottom rubbers as well and this is the bit that has me stumped.

Do you put the rubbers into the brackets before sliding the whole lot down the fork legs or the bottom rubbers on and then thebracket and then the top? Either way I can't get the rubbers to stay in the bracket. I'm guessing the friction and/or air pressure are forcing them out. I tried some washing up liquid to help it along. That didn't work. Any ideas?....

Many thanks...
1981 SD900 Resto project
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Darmah Headlight Brackets

Post by BevHevSteve »

Please send me an email regarding status on this.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
NeilD
Mariana

Post by NeilD »

not sure what the original poster ended up doing but i've had a very frustrating evening trying to refit the headlight brackets... i had to wreck 2 of the old rubbers getting the fork legs out, and the replacement ones just dont fit... the material is too thick and too soft as it just rucks up when you slide the legs in - i've ended up cutting off the lip from my expensive pattern parts... not bought from Steve, but i guess theres only one place manufacturing them... or are the pattern headlight 'ears wrong??? :*<:
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

You have to LUBE the rubber so it doesn't grip and will slide.

I lube up a rubber and slide down the fork leg so it rests on top of the bottom of the lower triple clamp. I lube up the outside lip that will slip into the bracket then slip the bracket into place. Then I lube up the outside as well as the inside of another rubber and sip it down over the fork tube and into the bracket. I repeat on the other side. I slide the top triple clamp down in place then install the washer then nut and tighten. I have done a few of them now and have not had a problem doing so.

You can not install them with the rubber dry.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”