'74 750 GT - with apologies to dial up users...

Post pictures of your twin cylinder Bevel Drive Ducati (pre-1985) along with a description here.
DesmoDog
750 GT

'74 750 GT - with apologies to dial up users...

Post by DesmoDog »

Well, anyone who's on the bevelheads list will have heard about this bike quite a bit already, but here we go.

When I brought it home it looked like this:

And now almost two years later, it looks like this:

The "current" picture is a bit of a teaser actually. The engine is still missing pistons and the heads are bare.

When done it's going to have high compression pistons, 32mm carbs, and a Dyna ignition. Other mods are Excel alloy rims to replace the trashed steel parts it came with, a later instrument panel that's similar to a Sport dash but includes the ignition switch too, lower bars, and a bunch of other little details I've forgotten or haven't decided on yet.

I'm not trying for a 100 point restoration obviously, it's going to be a rebuilt '74 that still carries a few of the scars it earned during the 60,000+ miles it's covered over the years.

I've got more pics on my website, with more to come as the project progresses. (My advice to anyone undertaking a project like this - get a digital camera and use it. I can't believe how many times I've referred back to the 100's of pics I took during the tear down phase...)
DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

Progress continues, slowly. Painting is underway... this was taken under a florescent light so the color is off, and the headlight shell looks like a blob, but what the heck.

The color (House of Kolor Meteor Maroon) is a little lighter than I was hoping for, but it will work. The black is Auto Air under HOK clear. Auto Air is water based, neat stuff. I'm going to play around with it more on other projects since I'm not so excited about working with all the chemicals of typical paint. (You still need to spray conventional primer and clear coat though). The clear is about four hours old here so it obviously hasn't been polished yet.

I'm new to this painting stuff (I did take a class in it... 20 years ago!) so there are some "D'oh!" areas here and there, but I got lucky in that the only place I totally screwed up is hidden under some trim when the bike is assembled. Woo Hoo! I'd rather be lucky than good!

More pics as it develops...
DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

Getting closer... I obviously have more work to do on the tank and rear fender though.

DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

Paint is done. The bike has finally seen the light of day for the first time in almost three years. Ok, part of the bike... still a lot of work to do.

DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

Getting there...

DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

What a difference a day makes... 24 little hours...

Ok, so maybe it was more than a day. And maybe it's STILL not done. but it's close...

BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

nice

Post by BevHevSteve »

looking better and better............. sweet!
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

Well... this is pretty much it. I've taken off the strap on the seat and added mirrors since this picture was taken but those are about the only (visible) changes.

So after over three year of work rebuilding it, now I'm waiting for the weather to get nicer so I can start wearing it out again! :-D

DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

I don't remember if I posted this link here already, I don't think so...

Anywhos, I started a video of this project when I first got it, then forgot about the video, then ran across it and decided to finish it up. I got tired trying to deal with the audio track so I deleted it all and put it to music. (Gotta love iTunes, just sort by time and pick a song that's about the right length!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Os2XqSnpyw

Picture quality isn't great but you get the idea.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

750gt

Post by nottonight68 »

that aint no ugly duk
one of the best ive ever seen
congrats
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

beautiful

Post by Lumpy »

Spectacular mate!! I could find room in my shed for that little treasure anytime.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

how did you get those motor cases so clean
DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

nottonight68 wrote:how did you get those motor cases so clean
Aluminum wheel cleaner and a hand held wire brush for the exterior, interior was with a hot tank - basically a huge dishwasher.

Return to “Bevel Head Twins Photo Gallery”