Sport Resto

Post pictures of your twin cylinder Bevel Drive Ducati (pre-1985) along with a description here.
Ducatiimola16
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Sport Resto

Post by Ducatiimola16 »

I've had this thing in my shed for a little while now and decided it was time to get it out and ride it.
I bought it off the fella that bought it new, he road it around for a couple of years then decided to get the motor freshened up, so after removing the electrics, carb's and crank case covers, he gave it to a bloke to pull apart and freshen up. Thing is this fella took off with the engine never to be seen again.
20 yrs later I hear about it sitting in his mum's shed under a blanket, so we do a deal and it's mine.
I find an engine spend some money on it and ride it around for a bit.
Come 2000 and there's a big bike race at Bathurst ,MT. Panarama, Australia and a mate of mine that races and I decide that between the two of us we're going to build a race bike.
We strip his GT down to the bare essentials and put the engine out of my Sport in it and go racing. Jason ended up doing pretty well until the last lap of the last race on the second last corner, we're after finding someone else's oil, lost the back and cart wheeled to a stop.
He was ok but the bike was a bit crook.
That engine went into a bike that I decided to build up, which I raced very successfully and finally sold to a museum, with what was my sport motor in it. That's why the Sport has been sitting in the corner for so long.
Once I can work out how to upload pic's I'll take a few of the re build and post 'em.
Cheer's Tony
Last edited by Ducatiimola16 on Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Ok Tony,

,,,,,,, We're waiting for these. ><

Dean
Faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Hunter S Thompson RIP
Ducatiimola16
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Sport Resto

Post by Ducatiimola16 »

Finally, hear's the link. http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee421/Ducatiimola
Enjoy
More soon
Last edited by Ducatiimola16 on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

Just need to add a "." between s1227 and photobucket ....

Try

http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee421/Ducatiimola/

So what's the plan now Tony - any prospects of acquiring another engine and getting it on the road again?

Cheers
Steve
1974 Ducati 750 GT
Ducatiimola16
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Sport Resto

Post by Ducatiimola16 »

Ta for the head's up with the link stuff Steve. As you may have guessed it's not really my thing, these computer gadget's.
Anyway to answer your question about getting it on the road. I have a GT which I get about on and the engine is coming out of that and going into the Sport. There is a long story as to why the Sport doesn't have it's own engine and why the GT does and what engine is in the GT but that's for another day.
Because it's coming up to dog doodie riding weather time, by the time I get the Sport done It'll be to dog doodie for me to ride it, weather wise, so I'll hang it on the wall at home till it get's a bit warmer and then pull it down and enjoy it.
Meanwhile the GT will sit in the corner till I can afford an engine.
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Hi Tony,

I was looking at your Sport photos again in the link supplied above. I noticed on yours that your frame loop under the back of the seat base is flat and does not have a rise. This piqued my interest, because my 74 Sport is the same but I've never seen another one like it.

You can make it out on my bike (just) in this picture below. My 74 is the far bike. Both the 72 and 73 has the rear loop bent upwards.

My 74 frame was raced and at some point with a squarecase engine and in fact has a cutout on the frame LHS lower junction plate to accomodate the protrusion of the square case left hand gearchange cover. I've always assumed that flattening the rear frame loop was something that was done to accomodate racing with a different seat base. Do you know for sure if your loop has never been "flattened"?

Kev
Ducatiimola16
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Ducatiimola16 »

Hi Kev,
First off let me say... nice bikes. As for the frame on my sport, I bought the bike off the fella that bought it new and I don't reckon that he modified it at all because he only owned it for about 18mnths before he took it off the road and stuck it in his mums shed for the nexy 30 yrs till I got it.
But I will, in the next few weeks or so try to track him down and ask him for shore, And when I do find out I'll let you know.
Talk to ya soon
Cheers mate
Tony
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

please post your photos directly into your thread. Its easy.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Bevel Head Twins Photo Gallery”