spark plug consumption 77 900 ss

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
seddy
Mariana

spark plug consumption 77 900 ss

Post by seddy »

Does anyone else use spark plugs faster than oil. I am talking complete failure, no more spark?.
Colin Linz
Diana

Post by Colin Linz »

My 78 GTS has just started fouling spark plugs quite often. A new one will last about 40 klm, if I clean it it may go for another few kilometres. When I fit the new plug the bike will blow heaps of blue smoke for a little while, then clear up. On a recent ride, a mate told me my bike was a little smoky; I couldn’t notice it in the mirrors though.

This has only happened since it’s last track day so I’m guessing the thrashing it got then has either damaged or worn the oil rings, as the compression is still good. The bike is in the process of a rebuild at the moment, but I haven’t started on the engine yet so I can’t confirm what has happened.
Cheers
Colin Linz
seddy
Mariana

Post by seddy »

Have you tried running different plugs, I found out that most failures are because of carbon build up, that should burn off when the engine gets hot enough, as long as the plug is not too cold for the engine (heat disipation not spark).

I am having enough trouble trying to balance my carbs at the moment, seems to be a black art to me.
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

Seddy, have you used the 'Eke' or modified Eke method on Steve's site? I found it very easy to balance the 900SS carbs using Carbtune steel gauges. Perhaps there's something else wrong in the carbs or ignition that's preventing you getting good balance?

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”