Geoff's 1976 900SS Rebuild

Post pictures of your twin cylinder Bevel Drive Ducati (pre-1985) along with a description here.

Post by Guest »

Hey Geoff,
Is the image server down temporarily or something else? The last few pics aren't loading... can it be fixed?

Cheers,

C./
DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

cshannon wrote:...Is the image server down temporarily or something else?
Looks to me like the links go to a file on a hard drive instead of an internet host?

Post by Guest »

Well spotted Craig!

Yeah Geoff, you'll need to upload them to a free image host like you did with all your other shots.
Let me know if you need assistance or just read Steve's notes on how-to at the top of the Gallery index.

C./
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

That's cos I edited the file names to something meaningless as, when I checked after Shanner's complaint, the xs.to seems to have lost the files for some reason and I didn't have them on my computer at work. I'll update tonight....

Post by Guest »

As far as free images hosts go, http://www.photobucket.com seem pretty good.
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

Ok; I've done it. hopefully y'all can see them again now. Don't know what happened. You two are a pair of hard taskmasters.

If I can get the camera out at the weekend I'll upload a few more of the 'finished' product.

'Finished' because I thought it was at the weekend.

Over the past two months (including 3 weeks vacation back home in Blighty and France...) got the heads & barrels off, stripped heads, checked guides (ok), changed guide seals (knackered), deglaze honed bores (bit worn), and fitted new rings. She's stopped smoking when I got her running at the weekend.

Trouble is, the battery's not being charged, no response on the AVO when revved at all. And in May it was putting out loads a volts. Not sure if I buggered the regulator/ rectifier by running it against a knackered battery last week for a 15 minutes, or damaged the stator/ gen wiring when I had the engine cover off. I do know that tonight when I put the Vac AVO on the stator output directly I was getting max 3V at 5k revs.

So, some more fun. Not.

Cheers lads!

Post by Guest »

Nice one Geoff! You're a legend.

A question, is that bit of blue sticking up above the frame a tank fastener?
If so, where did you get it, or did you make it and from what stock?

Cheers,

C./
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

Indeed Chris if that bit lies on the tank and grips around the frame she's very effective in that regard. She also comes with quite a bit of baggage.

I knocked her up from some left over bits of fluff from the 60's, nothing you should have any trouble finding down the Rocks on a Saturday night....

Cheers and trebles all round etc
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

Ok; update & pics time again.

After the smoking 'incident' was fixed (see above) I had the problems with charging; well the stator was fine, but the reg wasn't earthed properly. When I improved the reg earth I got 18V output!! So I had knackered the regulator (or it was just on the way out anyway?) Fitted a moplat one and 14.8V thank you very much. Battery fine and stays charged. Whooopppeee!

Had some hesitation problems which I was unable to accurately pin-point, but was planning a change out of the two 6V PVL coils on the Rita for a dual output 'green' 3 ohm Dyna anyway and for whatever reason the problem went away (perhaps the 18V out of the old reg knackered the coils? Or perhaps there was a poor connection in the system somewhere? I also flushed the tank again and rebuilt and cleaned the carbs - again! And fitted in-line fuel filters).

Performing a voltage drop test on the +ve side revelaed some about 0.75V drop between the battery terminal and the new coil, so I cleaned up some of the connections again and got that to 0.5V which is very acceptable.

Whatever, done a few miles on it now - even changed the oil after 250 miles! - and it seems to be holding together fine. Last weekend up to Italy, TX (I kid you not) with some buddies for an Gu$$i rally (to be honest I was trailered up but did get in >200 miles riding up there). Very happy with the performance, though constantly nervous something might break of fall off! I'll get used to it. Oh, and I ran out of gas; didn't realise it drinks petrol if pushed.... Must get new Smiths trip knob!

Here's a couple of pix at the camp site:

Cheers
Geoff
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

bella

Post by BevHevSteve »

looking good Geoff.....
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Bevel Head Twins Photo Gallery”