196x Bevel 250 valve spring compression help

If you need technical information or help with your bevel drive Ducati single cylinder engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
droopydawg
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

196x Bevel 250 valve spring compression help

Post by droopydawg »

I posted to BevelHead message board, and got some good advice, but I just can not picture how it is done with the suggestions given. I replied with an attachment of what I was looking at, but I think the picture size was too large and will be rejected by moderator, so I am asking you dudes for help.
Trying to reinstall my intake and exhaust valves into head. Have to compress springs then insert retainer and keepers. I can not picture doing it one spring at a time and then be able to get the second spring under the retainer once it is installed. Can you lend some advice? Attachment is the head BEFORE removal of the valves. Thanks!

Apparenlty i can not figure out how to attach an image, so i need help with that too.
Robin172
Mariana

Post by Robin172 »

If you're still using hairpin springs a regular valve spring compressor won't work. There is a special tool that fits over both springs at the same time to compress them so that the retainer and collets can be put into place. Try looking on ebay for one, they sometimes appear there.
joe1028
Mariana

adapter

Post by joe1028 »

i made a few adapters for the spring heads that work with normal valve compressors or even specific c clamps if your interested i could make you one up for 45 usd.....joe
shovelhead
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by shovelhead »

I read that you can compress the springs with tire irons, but I haven't tried it yet.
Robin172
Mariana

Post by Robin172 »

shovelhead wrote:I read that you can compress the springs with tire irons, but I haven't tried it yet.
Unfortunately that is a good way to butcher the cylinder head. I have seen several heads where tire irons/screw drivers have been used to compress the valva springs and they're not a pretty sight. Remember, it's not possible to go to a dealer and get a new head for these bikes, what we have needs looking after.
Nick
Diana

Post by Nick »

wear safety glasses
From probably the only person in the world who rides a Ducati 350 Sebring for daily transportation.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Clear out the corners of the workshop so its easy to find the bits that fly,watch out for your fingers. Better still get a U bracket welded to a normal compressor, It will be worth it, sell it later? Dont lever under the cam tunnel.

Return to “Single Cylinder Bevel Drive Engines > 250, 350 & 450”