PicK-up color wires

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
GONDARMAH
Mariana

Post by GONDARMAH »

HI
I need to know which color wires of pick-up
1-?
2-?
3-?
4-?

BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

wires

Post by BevHevSteve »

http://www.bevelheaven.com/~BB/phpBB2/v ... .php?t=771 I have info posted in the ELECTRICAL & WIRING section via the link above..

Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
GONDARMAH
Mariana

Post by GONDARMAH »

Hi Steve
Yes, I know your post, but you don´t say polarity pick-up.
The previous owner of my Darmah made changes with cables and, in addicion, the wires are black, burned, and is impossible to know which cable is wite and which is white/black. This is my questión.
In your post you say that uper pick-up go to horizontal cylinder and lower pick-up go to vertical cylinder, ok, althought some don´t say the same, but I trust your wisdom.
Oz Duck
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Pickup polarity

Post by Oz Duck »

Hi Gondarmah

Did you ever sort out the colours of the pickup wires?

If so, would you mind posting them here.

Thanks

Joe
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Joe, If you have a timing pointer for dynamic timing[running] you can tell if you have the polarity right. If it is correct the timing will advance when you rev it up, when it is backwards it wont move. Remember the crank spins clockwise wheh you look at it from the left side! Somewhere on this site is a thread about pickup polarity. Good luck and don't move the pickups.
Oz Duck
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Pickup polarity

Post by Oz Duck »

Thanks for the info wdietz186, I guess from what you have said is that the bike should still start even if one or both of the pickups are cross wired.

I have read the thread about pickup polarity but would specifically like to know the colour of the pickup wires when the clutch cover is removed and you are viewing the pickups as in Gondarmah's drawing.

If anybody can help I would be most appreciative.
GONDARMAH
Mariana

Post by GONDARMAH »

Top pick-up is for vertical cylinder.
If you look at the pick-up from the rear with the mounting flanges at the
bottom, the white/black wire enters the pick-up on the left.
All that happens if you reverse the polarity is that the ignition box locks
onto full advance which is easily identified when you check the timing with
a strobe light.
Oz Duck
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Oz Duck »

So going back to the drawing in your post......the white/black wires are number 2 and 4?

I just need to get this right as I have rewired the pickups and am having problems starting the bike. I have also done some other work on the engine and the Dellorto's so need to elliminate the pickups as the cause.

Also, Steve's and your drawing shows the lower pickup as the vertical one and not the top pickup.......can you please confirm which one is correct?

Thanks in advance.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

I haven;t re don;e any bosch pickup wires since I made that drawing. So I can not definately confirm it to be right or wrong.

Sorry about that, I thought I was taking good notes at the time.

All I can say is that my bike is running very well so whatever I did, I did it right,.......... And it may or may not be what I noted in the drawing.

I am waiting for someone to confirm it to be correct or not......
Oz Duck
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Oz Duck »

Thanks Steve, I suspect the lower pickup to be the vertical one as you and Gondarmah have drawn it......and how mine is wired up.

If you take a look at the Ducati electrical diagram it does show the vertical cylinder to fire first, followed 90 degrees later by the horizontal. So with the crank spinning clockwise when viewed from the left, this does agree with your diagrams.

The only thing that your diagram doesn't show is physically which wire is white and which is white/black where they enter the pickup.

When I rewired mine both wires were discoloured, and at the time I thought I was being careful not to get them mixed up. However, the starting problems I am experiencing leads me to suspect that I may have got one or both of the pickups cross connected.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

then swap around 2 wires from 1 pickup and run it, better or same or worse?

do the same for the other.

if they are swapped then you get full advance.

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”