oil pressure

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Laurence
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

oil pressure

Post by Laurence »

On my 79 900 ss I can look thru the window on the bevel cover and watch oil come and go from around my bevel gears, The oil flow seems very inconsistent, combined with a slight clatter from the front valve gear after a big rev leaves me suspicious that im lacking in oil pressure at times, It also takes moons for oil to get to the bevel gear on start up also.
Has anyone got any info or history about oil pressure and what I should be looking out for...
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

oil

Post by BevHevSteve »

If you change your oil to straight 50 wt so it is new oil, does it behave the same?

Do you have enough oil in there? Make sure it is between the lines on the dip stick with it just sitting on the sump.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Craig in France
Paso 906

Oil pressure

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Laurence

Remember, the lubrication system in these engines is of the 'low pressure*, high volume' type.

So what you should be looking for isn't so much pressure, but rather a flow like someone turned on tap (or faucet, depending on your country of origin ...)

For an early diagnosis - and also from a distance, so likely to be totally wrong :? :

Sounds like you may have a worn oil pump. If Steve, our Forum Maestro can't help, V2 in Australia do them, freshly machined out of billet. Go http://www.veetwo.net/sto, , re_product.asp?CID=22&PID=210.

But first try giving Brook Henry there a call/e-mail first to see what he thinks.

P.s Also available from Phil Hitchcock at Road and Race, I see. And Mario Sassi at Old Racing Spare Parts in Italy .. and Ducati Kaemna in Germany.

HTH

Craig in UK

* I seem to remember mention of pressures as low as 5-10 lbs/sq in.

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”