6mm allen bolt torque settings

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
UKScott
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

6mm allen bolt torque settings

Post by UKScott »

Hello to Steve & the Bevel Forum from the UK!

I recently developed an oil leak from the rear cylinder camshaft support bearing housing.
Now that I have new gasket(s) perhaps someone could tell me the torque setting for this 6mm size allen bolt on my '81 MHR.

Are there any published list of torque settings for our bikes?

Thanks in advance!
Bye for now
Scott
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

torque

Post by BevHevSteve »

5.78 - 7.23 ft lbs [.8 - 1 kg/m] for 6mm screws
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
UKScott
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Thanks Steve! One more Cam-support bearing question...

Post by UKScott »

Perhaps someone can tell me why I have Oil-line connectors welded to the Cam -support bearing plate as in this photo?
I bought my MHR in Holland like this, does it mean it has been raced in the past?
Thanks in advance!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/S ... 7002-1.jpg
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

oil cooler

Post by BevHevSteve »

it doesn;t mean it has been raced, it may have been,....... But, it does mean that someone at one time either had an oil cooler or simply an oil supply line [or drain line] to/from that head.
Last edited by BevHevSteve on Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UKScott
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by UKScott »

Ok but I have both heads like this?
Oil filter or oil cooler?
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

oil

Post by BevHevSteve »

yes, either/or. Where else are there changes, or, are they only there at the cam blocks? Perhaps someone just THOUGHT that buying those cam blocks would make it easy to fit an oil cooler..... Then gave up once they figured out that the side cover would also have to be modified etc... Why not ask the seller..........
UKScott
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by UKScott »

As far as I'm aware there are no other changes/modifications to the bike... saying that I have never had the engine apart to check piston/valve sizes.
The engine had been re-shimmed by Star Twin Motors Holland before I bought it, but too long ago to contact seller.
I have seen German bikes that have a screw on (full flow) external oil filter added, and wondered if this system uses the Cam support bearing point to return the oil? Are these kits still in existence and does anyone have experience fitting/running them?

I love this bike and it has travelled with me back to the UK.
Thanks for your interest and for promoting our Bevel Heads!
Scott.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

fittings in cam support housings

Post by wdietz186 »

Those fitting holes were likely from a seperate oil feed to bypass running oil thru the head and picking up excess heat in racing conditions.It was a common modification back in the 70's.Usually the oil was fed from a fitting drilled into the oil galley that feeds the oil filter.If it doesen't have a external fitting below the filter housing it may have used the filter housing and a cover with nipples to supply the lines.Hopefully these cam supports came from a different engine and the internal feed holes haven't been blocked off. Otherwise the cams and rockers will be history. :cry:
UKScott
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Camshaft support block oilways

Post by UKScott »

Externally there are no oil supply modifications to be seen, thats why I thought that the present mods were for an oil filter/cooler that was fitted some time in the bikes past!
Thanks for your comments!

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”