outbd crank support bearing

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Cheese
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

outbd crank support bearing

Post by Cheese »

The bearing on the outboard primary side is rough and needs replacing. Any idea on the best way to liberate the old one from the case? Special tools? Heat? press?
thanks
Peter
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: outbd crank support bearing

Post by wdietz186 »

Get the case hot and you can tap the bearing out from the outside through the hole after the plug is removed. I forget if there is a circlip on the inside,I'm pretty sure there is[been a while] For a bit more oil pressure to the crank you can put a sealed bearing there instead of the open one. You will have to remove the seal from the side facing in towards the engine,It prys out pretty easily.
Cheese
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Cheese »

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking 200 degF max heating? Don't want to damage the ignition pickups..nor remove them if possible. The sealed bearing is a good idea. Is this supply the only one for the crank?

Peter
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Mine was very tight to get out, don't leave out the big washer between the case and bearing (its all that stops the big end oil escapeing through the bearing straight into the sump) ,not sure a rubber sealed bearing is as secure. Use both? Don't loose the "O" ring from between the cover and gasket . My motor had neither washer or seal ,left out by the DPO the factory or the last dealer to work on it.The big end failed and was replaced,they did not sort the oil supply so the current big end is now suspect too.Wish me luck!!.
Cheese
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Cheese »

Mine had a 6204Z with one side only shielded. Shield mounted toward outboard side and next to steel ring oil deflector. Purchased a blind hole puller which worked great. Good luck with yours!

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”