to glue or not to glue?

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
duck-a-tye
Mariana

to glue or not to glue?

Post by duck-a-tye »

Hi
My workshop manual says to leave gaskets dry when fitting, but I'm tempted to use gasket glue, especially on the centre one as it's so much work to pull apart again if it leaks.
what do you think?
Craig in France
Paso 906

Gasket glue

Post by Craig in France »

Hi duck-a-tye

Well, it's your call, but no glue should really be the default. Generally speaking, the meeting faces of Ducati casings were well machined, so they shouldn't need much more than a simple gasket to go oil tight.

If you use glue, do so sparingly. There is always a danger that excess gasket glue gets squeezed inside the engine and ends up blocking an oil way.

But, as always, others will probably say otherwise ...

Ciao

Craig in UK
duck-a-tye
Mariana

Post by duck-a-tye »

Thanks again Craig!

I've been told about a loctite product that should be good for this job! so i'll talk to my friendly Repco man and get the right product number.

This is my second post you've answered so i'll have to apologise for the crack at UK weather in the last one!':oops:'
airmale
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

to glue or not

Post by airmale »

Use caution, most modern gaskets are impregnated with there own sealer. This is a plastic compound that coats the gasket and melts to seal with heat. If the gasket is smooth and shiny it is coated and should not be sealed. A plan paper gasket is easy to spot as it is dull and porous. Most of the gaskets I have seen for the bevel are coated.

airmale
duck-a-tye
Mariana

Post by duck-a-tye »

Thanks Airmale

Thats something i've never heard of before, and will be a handy bit of knowledge.

Thanks heaps

Duck-a-tye

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”