Oil plug removal 81 MHR

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Dob8604
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Oil plug removal 81 MHR

Post by Dob8604 »

I have an 81 MHR and when I change the oil the drain plug only comes half way out before contacting the exhaust. This is my second Ducati with this engine, my first was an 82 900S2 and I'm sure I was able to remove the plug completely back then.
Anyway it still allows the oil to dribble out but I'm worried that the slow flow may leave sediment behind. The aftermarket side-stand is a blessing for getting the best angle to get the last drops out.
Also wondering if the shaft has a magnet on the end that may need cleaning.
Is this normal?
Should I removed the front header to get the plug out completely and maybe replace the washer each time?
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: Oil plug removal 81 MHR

Post by Craig in France »

Dob8604 wrote:I have an 81 MHR and when I change the oil the drain plug only comes half way out before contacting the exhaust. This is my second Ducati with this engine, my first was an 82 900S2 and I'm sure I was able to remove the plug completely back then.
A quick look thru the parts books reveals that the bikes have different exhaust pipes. Part number 0769.84.520 for the MHR, 0803.84.202 for the S2. The 0769 code says that the pipe was originally used on a 1981 SS - which makes sense, given that the MHR was a dressed-up SS. The 0803 code is the S2 model.

The various permutations of exhaust pipes is a feature of Ducatis at this time :doh: . As well as as the styling changes, the factory was having to find ways of reducing noise emissions to meet the higher standards - which is why we got blessed with those half-ton Silentiums ...
Dob8604 wrote:Should I removed the front header to get the plug out completely and maybe replace the washer each time?
Yes to both, IMO (nothing beats a full flush, does it? :shock:. And always replace a 2-cent crushable washer unless you particularly like oil leaks ;) ). No magnet at the end, btw.

Ciao

Craig
Dob8604
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Dob8604 »

Thanks Craig,
It makes sense, they probably brought the exhaust in closer to the motor on the MHR to get the fairing around it.
Since I only do about 2500km a year on it I'll take the exhaust off yearly when I do the annual oil change.
I suppose one good thing, I'll never lose the drain plug or drop it in the oil pan (as always seems to happen).
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Dob8604 wrote: ... or drop it in the oil pan (as always seems to happen).
I dunno - I still manage to do it ... :doh: :shock:

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”