1978 900SS - solo seat upholstery design

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
ozzie_duke
Mariana

1978 900SS - solo seat upholstery design

Post by ozzie_duke »

I have always had the dual seat on my 1978 900SS but recently I lashed out and bought the fibre glass solo seat base. Now all I have to do is paint it and upholster it! Anyway I have always wanted one so now need to figure out how to upholster it. Anybody done this? Anybody have a design for the upholstery? Any hints/tips?
ozzie_duke in Darwin Australia
Rebuilding my 1978 Duke 900SS - on the road now
Also 1976 T140E Triumph Bonnie
email:[email protected]
garryc
Parallel Twin

Re: 1978 900SS - solo seat upholstery design

Post by garryc »

Not sure what you are after but I just had my darmah seat upholstered by
http://www.mjmcustommotorbikeseats.com.au/
very happy with the results.
Mick is a good guy.
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

G'day ozzie

I had a seat for my 750 GT restored by Tony O'Connor of Eldorado Motorcycle Seats. Fantastic job, great attention to detail and excellent workmanship. Might be worth getting in touch if you are after a concourse quality seat.

I saw this on eBay recently:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0938327659

Tony can be contacted at [email protected]

Cheers
Steve
1974 Ducati 750 GT
ozzie_duke
Mariana

Post by ozzie_duke »

Thanks for your advice - I may have to send it off to have it done. But I was really after the upholstery pattern so I can maybe get it made up here in Darwin - its a solo seat for a 1978 900SS. Ive never had a solo seat on it so I dont know the pattern or even how the whole seat fits into the fibreclass base I have - is it glued or screwed or what?

cheers

John
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

Hi,
I've just recently had this done for my '75 SS, I think the '78 solo seat is the same, but it's worth checking. The original upholstery is laughably simple, two blocks of rubbish yellow foam and a black vinyl (?) cover which is glued to the seat base. The only sophistication is the cloth/metal zip that joins the vertical bum stop part to the rest of it, allowing access to the hollow seat hump. This part is held down by a chromed steel strip screwed into the hump with 4mm countersunk, slot head screws. I'm being a bit vague because I'm not even in the same country as my bike, and can't remember the exact details, but will post some pics when I find them. I have the original cover, and can post dimensions, but only when I return to 'the garage' at the end of November. Any competent auto upholsterer will be able to knock up a new cover and foam although complete kits are available from 'Old Racing Spare Parts' in Italy, possibly Damien 'Bevel Rubber' in Aus, and our host and excellent friend Steve at Bevel Heaven in California.
I'll try to put together a useful post with links and pics when I have time...
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

here
seat 92 kb.JPG
is a pic of '75 solo seat components. The vertical part of the cover contains another block of foam and a rubber stiffener. let me know if this helps/and or you need more pics
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
ozzie_duke
Mariana

Post by ozzie_duke »

Thanks thats great - appreciate your help.
jota
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jota »

john moorehouse in brisbane did mine perfect-high density foam-comfy as-185 bucks

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”