1978 900SS Konking out

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
ozzie_duke
Mariana

1978 900SS Konking out

Post by ozzie_duke »

I have just finished a bare frame rebuild of my 1978 900ss (Black and Gold) which I have owned and ridden in Darwin Oz since 1979. It was off the road in boxes for the past ten years but now looking great. It was always a fairly reliable bike in wet or dry and after I got it back on the road it was just as reliable. However now it has a real problem - after starting it just konks out - just like the ignition was turned off - both cylinders at once. Doesnt feel like a fuel problem - its both cyliners at once. Also I have replaced the Bosch ignition both sides recently but this konking out is both cylinders so I dont thnk its the Bosch ignition. I have replaced regulator (needed to anyway) cleaned up fuse box and earth - no change. Starting to drive me nuts! Any suggestions? Must be electrical and something common to both cylinders. Maybe the stator? But would that cause it to konk out? Maybe something to do with the wiring - probably. I had a auto electrician (seemed competent!) re-wire the switch block to the loom wiring and also the wiring to the idiot lights. Anybody experienced this one? :cry:
ozzie_duke in Darwin Australia
Rebuilding my 1978 Duke 900SS - on the road now
Also 1976 T140E Triumph Bonnie
email:[email protected]
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

Re: 1978 900SS Konking out

Post by Lumpy »

I have an 82 SS that had a tricky electrical issue some time back. Symptoms were a little different but the area is worth a look all the same. The wiring loom that went from my stator up to my Bosch boxes had turned to mush. Basically the insulation went bad and the wires were no longer insullated from one another. I`m told it`s a common fault as they age.
Another area to check would be the 12V feed to your ignition system (coils). Cutting the power there would cause the issue you describe.
ozzie_duke
Mariana

Post by ozzie_duke »

Thanks for the advice - I didnt think about those two - wiring from the stator is rather old and original! Will also check the feed to the coils. I have also ordered a new ignition switch - I remembered that it did similar things years ago and I replaced the ignition switch which fixed it.

cheers

John
ozzie_duke
Mariana

Post by ozzie_duke »

Thanks for the advice - I replaced the ignition switch and that seemed to fix it.

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”