Stuck Cases?

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
sd900
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Stuck Cases?

Post by sd900 »

Hi all, I had to split the cases on an SD 900. I knew you needed a quarter turn or so on the kickstarter when plying them apart, but as I had to do a fair bit of handling to coax them apart I think I may have broken the seal without engaging the kickstart. The cases came 1/2 inch apart, but that seems to be it. There's some movement at the front of the cases (near crank) but the back and bottom (near gearbox) feel pretty tight. Am I buggered? Or are the cases usually pretty tight at this stage? Any advice on what to do greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
s
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Re: Stuck Cases?

Post by ducadini »

The cases come apart for about 5-6 mm and THEN get stuck at the kickstart-part.
So tap them a bit back, turn the kickstartshaft for a quarter and (let someone else) tap the cases open.

You were nearly there, as long as You didn't use any crowbars five foot long, no damage :-)

have fun in there

ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
sd900
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by sd900 »

Hi again, I've been trying different degrees of turn with the kickstart, but this is as far as I can get the cases apart before it sticks. Lots of play at the front of the cases, but the back doesn't want to budge. It feels as though something in the gearbox or with the starter mechanism is preventing it from coming apart. Have I missed something? I read the cases will come apart with the drive gear still in place; am I wrong about that? Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.
s
Stuck here
Stuck here
LH.case.jpg
RH.case.jpg
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Next time, take the sprocket off before taking the engine out of the frame, much easier.
Take the neutral-switch thingie of (the copper part behind the sprocket with a little screw).
To be sure, unscrew the bolt at the rear of the cases, it's the positioning part for the shifting (to keep it in the correct position).
Then the cases should come apart, don't forget the kickstart routine.

cu
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
sd900
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by sd900 »

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for the help, ducadini. I'll post how it goes.
Cheers,
s
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Best to put it on its left case ( I made a special support for this but some wood is also ok).
While turning the kicker, You (or Your third hand) can tap on the shafts so they slide out of the righthandcase.
That is, if the sprocket and the neutralswitch-camthing are both off.

cu
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”