Electric start to kick start

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Riv
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Electric start to kick start

Post by Riv »

I have a Darmah with kick start only (modified by a previous owner) and an Alchemy with electric start. I would like to swap the starting systems over.
Is it as simple as swaping the parts from engine to engine? Is there traps waiting for me?

Thanks
'82 SS 900
'82 MHR
'80 SD
'79 SSD
'91 Alchemy SV-2
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: Electric start to kick start

Post by wdietz186 »

The primary parts should swap over provided they are both Bosch ign. models and the Alchemy has a kickstart shaft sticking out of the right side.
Riv
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Riv »

Both are Bosch ignition engines. The Alchemy does not have the kick start shaft, I am hoping to remove that from the Darmah and install in the Alchemy. I guess my next step is to have a go.

thanks
'82 SS 900
'82 MHR
'80 SD
'79 SSD
'91 Alchemy SV-2
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Why not just swap engines? Or at least the bottom ends.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

I was thinking an engine swap was in order on this myself....
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Zanetti
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Zanetti »

Riv wrote:Both are Bosch ignition engines. The Alchemy does not have the kick start shaft, I am hoping to remove that from the Darmah and install in the Alchemy. I guess my next step is to have a go.

thanks
If your Alchemy motor has the kick start shaft hole plugged with a bung by the previous owner the parts "should" inter change if the hole is still blank from casting you will have to get it machined out
and fit brass bushes in both sides of the cases.
This is a big job (splitting cases on two motors) the kick start spring and pawl is the first thing to go back in the cases when rebuilding (after establishing crank end float)
Riv
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Riv »

Thanks all. I guess my question should have been "Do I need to split the cases to remove/fit the kick start shaft?" Zanetti has answered that. I will not be splitting cases, this is too big a job for me.

The reason I did not want to exchange engines was for the originality of the Darmah, (correct engine number range for the frame). The Alchemy does not matter as it is a kit bike anyway.

My next step will be keep an eye out for a spare kick start shaft and hardware for the Alchemy, (I have an alternator cover with the hole/bush/seal for the kick start shaft and a spare NOS SS kickstart lever). I would not fit these unless the cases need to be split for some other reason at some stage, but that might be sooner rather than later, see seperate post!

I will also be looking for electric start parts for the Darmah, (I do have a servicable starter motor, the SD type clutch cover and the electrical parts). It sounds like I can fit and electric starter without splitting the cases?

Regards
'82 SS 900
'82 MHR
'80 SD
'79 SSD
'91 Alchemy SV-2
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

I went the opposite way and took the electric starter system off my bike, it was a Darmah engine. I have kept the cases /gear selector shaft etc in case I need it to retro fit to other bevels. (If I blow out a knee in my old age!!..).
What I did note was that the gear selector shaft on the Darmah cases is longer than the SS style selector arm and you will need to find one to suit what you are doing., otherwise it was reasonably straight forward.
You might get an electric system, I wish you luck on that search.
regards
Grant
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

I went the opposite way and took the electric starter system off my bike, it was a Darmah engine. I have kept the cases /gear selector shaft etc in case I need it to retro fit to other bevels. (If I blow out a knee in my old age!!..).
Grant might be saying this somewhat lightheartedy (or not!!!), But if there is a trend coming, I suggest that demographics say you should bear this in mind. I'm now 52 and if I saw a (very rare) 750 GT electric start assembly, I'd be well interested in it with a view to being able to extend my Duc twin riding time in the future. I don't think I'm going to be alone.

Kev
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

I'm now 52 and if I saw a (very rare) 750 GT electric start assembly, I'd be well interested in it with a view to being able to extend my Duc twin riding time in the future.
And so how long do you think you've got left to enjoy your Sport Kev? That lack of an electric starter and awkward riding position might prove to be a problem for an old bugger. And I guess you are thinking about extending the clutch actuating arm so that you'll be able to muster the strength to pull the clutch lever in. `-* And what about hauling it on and off the centrestand! - I assume that you wouldn't trust the sidestand - that could well do you in (hernia? prolapsed discs?).
And, by the way, aren't you assuming that the electric starter on the 750 GT actually worked?
Cheers
Steve
Oh sh*t - I just realised that I'm even older than you are .... memory ain't what it used to be. Hope I can remember which way the fuel taps work - is "off" pointing forwards or backwards ....
Last edited by Steve Foster on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
1974 Ducati 750 GT
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Trust you to be analytical, Steve!!! Your scientific slip is showing ;) .

Fortunately, at this stage Sport riding is a breeze. My flexibilty is very well maintained by avoiding house tasks, dodging kid transfers, weaving around in-law events and riding singles around European mountains. If I was an MD, I'd prescribe these as a certain pre-emptive cure. If I was in parliment, I would legislate for these to be included in Medicare subsidies - I'm certain that it would save the country money.

But of course, all this only delays the inevitiable for riding big twins. For that I ultimately prescribe Ducati singles! (perhaps the bike of my dotage might be an electic start Forza? :vroom: )

Kev
Riv
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Riv »

Thanks all. I am a similar vintage (1960) and tall but I still fold up onto a sportsbike very comfortably. I recently did a 1000km day on my SSD and enjoyed every bit.
I have no trouble with kick starting my SS or MHR but the SD is a pain with the starter lever bending around the footpeg.
The electric legs on the SSD and Alchemy are convenient though. I like things to be correct however so I want electric start on the SD. I may well leave the kicker on it as well if it is so difficult to remove the shaft.
'82 SS 900
'82 MHR
'80 SD
'79 SSD
'91 Alchemy SV-2
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

Riv,
Have you checked the Bevel for sale section, there is an electric start setup for sale
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica
Riv
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Riv »

Good work Grant, thanks. I had not seen this

Regards
'82 SS 900
'82 MHR
'80 SD
'79 SSD
'91 Alchemy SV-2
jota
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jota »

have sent you pm riv

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”