Splitting the cases

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
sd900
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Splitting the cases

Post by sd900 »

Hello, hoping for some advice. I'm (trying) to split the cases on a 79 SD. I've removed bevel gears, alternator, flywheel, starter gear, etc., etc., and the 9 crankcase bolts. I've read that I need to "sharply tap the left hand end of crank and gearbox shafts with a soft mallet." Doesn't seem to work- cases still firmly together. Do you really have to whack it (kinda reluctant to)? Have I forgotten anything? Is there another technique? I've been following the strip down as explained here: http://tinyurl.com/8xv5f7s
Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
s
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: Splitting the cases

Post by wdietz186 »

You have unscrewed the 5 10mm bolts that join the cases at the cyl. spigots and the center of the case below to the rear of the crank haven't you? They do most of the holding.
sd900
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by sd900 »

Five10mm bolts? Are these 10mm Allen bolts? At the risk of sounding like a complete dork, where are they located? I can't see them.
Thanks,
s
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

At the base of the cylinders on the left side,two per cylinder and one below and to the rear of the crank in a recess just below the lower edge of the primary cover. Use an 8mm allen wrench. The lower might be a 14mm with a stud extension for the kickstand mount.
sd900
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by sd900 »

Do you mean these bolts here? They're out. But roughly where is the bolt to the rear of the crank?
Thanks
Attachments
LH case.jpg
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

The fourth and last bolt is under the clutch-cover, about straight under the rear bolt of the vertical cilinder but since Yours has a sidestand, this one is likely already removed.
Don't forget to turn the kickstarter about a quarter of a turn to get the cases apart, otherwise the open a few mm and then get stuck.

cu
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

In the pic you posted the fourth bolt would be in the hole directly above the drain in the side of the sump. If that is also out the cases should seperate. Try tapping firmly around the case joint with a soft faced hammer. Doing that will break the bond between the halves,maybe it has been glued together in a previous life.Sometimes the shafts are a tight fit in the bearings and take a little coaxing to come out but you should get some seperation of the cases pretty easily.

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”