head removal

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
stuart
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

head removal

Post by stuart »

hi all
due to my failing to remove the exhaust ring nut on the front cylinder i have to remove it . i am led to belive that there is no head gasket on these engines (or am i wrong) so what is there and what do i need instead .
once again many thanks to my bevel headed friends
stuart
lloydmarine
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: head removal

Post by lloydmarine »

Hi Stuart,
instead of a gasket the head has o-rings, these should always be replaced with new ones if pulled apart. The head nuts are quite a tight fit to access with a standard spanner, so you may have to modify one or you can buy one that fits onto a torque wrench. Also take care with the exhaust nut if it is not damaged, the proper spanner should be used for this as you can break the fins using incorrect tools, and cut and remove the mousing wire that should be tied on to stop it rattling loose.
Good luck, take your time.
Mike
'75 860 GT
'78 900 GTS
stuart
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by stuart »

thanks for the reply i have used the correct spanner on the ring nut with no success so its time for a different approach
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Please give some squirts of KROiL or other penetrant and use a heat gun (not a torch) then give it another try...
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

How can removing the head make it easier for unscrewing the exhaust nut ?
Unless ALL the fins are broken, You should be able to get it off.
I think by removing the head You only have more trouble to keep it fixed?
-check if it isn't fixed with a small screw (seen that once, drilled throught the head to prevent nut turning loose)
-use the original Ducati wrench
-use an old chain 530 or something to wrap around the nut, put a vise-grip on
-use a chisel (hope I spelled it right) to tap it around
You sure are turning it the correct way ?

If You take the head off, remember that cilinders and heads WITHOUT broken fins are very scarce , so be sure to take the thin washers off, they can sit between the thread of the studs and prevent the head from sliding off.

cu
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
radecal
Parallel Twin

Post by radecal »

I am with Steve and ducadini on this one. I would leave the head insitu and try to heat/cool it with a suitable penetrant to shift it. You need the head firmly fixed to have the leverage to shift it. I would also try running the engine to get things hot and then hitting the exhaust nut with a freeze spray (I have a Loctite product that I have used with some success) and then trying to shift it with the proper spanner.
Regards,
RAD
stuart
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by stuart »

hello all
after round 1 the exhaust nut has won so far but thats only round 1 . as the exhaust ring has quite a few fins missing (previous owner tried using a bmw spanner on the ring) i have the correct spanner but cant get sufficient purchase with the spanner . would i be better off removing the remaining fins and using a large chain wrench and heat and freeze spray for round 2 . i dont want to remove the head as its prime riding weather here at the moment (rain and lots of it) but if i have to i will '
i dare say that i might even have to square off two sides of the nut to get a better grip with a lager spanner /adjustable wrench
but i am always ready for more suggestions for removal of the said ring .
many thanks
stuart exhaust nut stuck thomas
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

I'm with the others on this one, Stuart:

Definitely leave the head on. Then, liberal applications of a QUALITY easing oil + heat/cold + patience. Lots of it. And repeat ... (Did I mention patience?)

I don't think it's a 'Bigger Hammer' job. Certainly not until you've done quite a few more rounds ... :-D
stuart
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by stuart »

will be leaving the head on untill i have explored all avenues open to me . i have some easing fluid doing its thing at the moment but i am away for 4days (truck driver) but on my return i will be having a go again . patience i could do with but the ring will come out. its the threads that i am worried about
welshmally
Diana

Post by welshmally »

Remembering a demonstration at school, where a brass ball was only able to pass through a brass hoop once the hoop had been heated - make sure you heat the head rather than the exhaust nut, as this will only make it tighter (does that make sense? - i.e. heat will expand the nut - not what you want)

May be teaching Grandma to suck eggs - if so, my apologies :oops:
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

i tried to answer your PM but your email bounced. please check that it is correct in the forum settings.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
radecal
Parallel Twin

Post by radecal »

No, you aren't wrong welshmally! Both will expand.
BUT, in the case of heating the head, if you then freeze the exhaust nut ring quickly, it will shrink and hopefully the cold won't penetrate the head material before the nut is "tempted" to undo.
I used this approach recently to remove a stuck sump filter. Gave me just enough differential expansion/contraction to loosen the filter that had been tightened to within an inch of its life. Thread survived as well luckily. Saved the owner from a major problem not of his causing (he had just purchased the bike).
Regards,
RAD
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

In addition to the soaking and heat,a few raps with a substantial punch and hammer around the edge of the ring [hit towards the head] can vibrate and help loosen the corrosion that has formed between the head and nut. Don't get too carried away and smash fins but solid raps will help.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Undo the silencer fixing to the frame, move the silencer and pipe to find the best position where it does not load the exhaust nut in any way,if you can turn the pipe in the head it will break the seal ,this will help.

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”