Ducati bevel parts supplier

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
francesque
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Ducati bevel parts supplier

Post by francesque »

Any ideas where I can buy a wiring harness for my 1980 900GTS, I noticed tonight the plastic sleeving of the wiring from the ignition generator has all burnt out with bare copper wire on show, I am staggered it ran! Probably makes sense to fit a new harness if they are available.
Thank you
in-two
Diana

Re: Ducati bevel parts supplier

Post by in-two »

Not exactly sure what you mean by 'ignition generator' and why it might be shorting/burning but if you really need a new wiring loom, try 'old racing spare parts' in Bologna. I have just fitted a new wiring harness from them to my '75 900ss and it works! The fact that the wire colours were not the same as the wiring diagram, the original, or indeed anything else I could discover just added to the intellectual challenge!
Nevertheless, beats the hell out of doing it from scratch. Mdina in the U.K. source from there I think, as might do Bevel Heaven, both of whom are much better/easier/ more reliable to deal with, so might be good places to start. Generally , if you want the right part at the right price, then Steve at Bevel Heaven is the 'go to" guy, despite being on the other side of the planet.
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
francesque
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by francesque »

Hi, its the four pick up wires that ccome from the front of the left engine cover that have deteriorated
radecal
Parallel Twin

Post by radecal »

Hate to say it mate but if the insulation is breaking apart, you need to have the pick-up wires replaced. The rest of the harness may be ok but the pick-up wires let go unfortunately but check the rest anyway.
Check here on the forum as I think it is covered. You will need some good quality high temperature oil resistant wire and epoxy and follow the instructions. You may need a Molex pin tool as well AND make sure you photograph/draw/mark the pickup wires so the right ones go back in the right places.
Why? Just ask Steve and the good people here! I won't spoil the surprise if you don't.
Regards,
RAD
francesque
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by francesque »

Sounds like this is a common problem and well documented on this forum,
what a helpful bunch all you Ducati owners are, thanks again!!

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”