Surflex clutch spring length???

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
FastFred
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Surflex clutch spring length???

Post by FastFred »

Have early MHR with 8 plate surflex clutch. Does anyone know what length the springs should be please?
radecal
Parallel Twin

Post by radecal »

G'day mate,
To the best of my knowledge they should be not less than 28.9mm.
Hopefully someone else will chime in to confirm that figure.
From memory that applies to all the 860 series engines.
RAD
FastFred
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by FastFred »

Thanks for reply. I think that is the standard spring length. I bought some new ones (surflex) that haven't been delivered yet. They are supposed to be 32mm apparently! Mine has 6 x 26mm springs in it which I suspect are off a different model. I am going to put them on our hydraulic test machine at work and compare the loads at the pre-load (screwed up but no clutch lift). Cheers
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Standard lenght shouldn't be less than 29 mm.
The shorter springs are the singles (450) type, You could fit them but they are a bit stiffer.
The longer are the Surflex types, but I can't compare them to the other two.

Remember that some plates have teeth facing inward or outward.
Did you take the rods and ball out ? Be sure to fit them in the right order since the diameter of the shaft differs on both sides.

And last : when the plates are fitted and the screws tightened, check if the plate comes off evenly. If not, change around some springs or fit shims under one or more.

enjoy
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
FastFred
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by FastFred »

Thanks. When you refer to tangs you mean the steel plates I guess. I only noted one which was fitted on the outer to allow it to reach the outer basket. I will check them all again.
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

On some bevels, the first inner plate had also the teeth facing outward to reach the inner drum of the clutch, can't remember exactly what types but must've been in the switch from DucEll to Bosch models.

cu
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”