Darmah SD Tank Questions

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
NeilD
Mariana

Darmah SD Tank Questions

Post by NeilD »

hi, coupel of questions..

1.. is there a knack/trick to fitting the fuel tank? I assume the cups in the tank locate on the rubbers at the front of the frame? just dont seem to want to go on or fit easily..

2. theres a fuel leak :( appears to be comming from the seam where the rear tank mount is located - common problem? I've had a dig with a screwdriver and doesnt appear rusty, so I hope that one of the internal tank sealers will work?

3. and finally, there seems to be more of a gap between the rear edge of the tank on the right hand side (sitting on bike) compared to the left.. any thoughts?

RHS
P1020206 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

LHS
P1020205 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: Darmah SD Tank Questions

Post by Craig in France »

NeilD wrote: I assume the cups in the tank locate on the rubbers at the front of the frame?
Yes.
Touch wood, I've not had trouble mounting Darmah tanks; but they are known for not always being 'models of perfection' :) . So, if you're confident that the rubbers are the right ones/right size, and there are no cables or anything else getting in the way, you could experiment with adjusting the cups a little ...
NeilD wrote: 2. There's a fuel leak :(. Appears to be coming from the seam where the rear tank mount is located - common problem?
Not sure if it's common, but let's say it's not unusual. It's in the nature of the 'rolled seam' type of joint that was much used for making tanks at the time. (Moisture from the fuel gets into the seam, causing rust. Which is one reason why it's best to keep the tank either full or empty, but not in between).

I personally haven't had to use any tank sealants; but I note that that some people get on ok with them, others less so. Be aware that some makes seem better able to resist modern ethanol fuels than others - best to ask before you buy.
NeilD wrote: 3. And finally, there seems to be more of a gap between the rear edge of the tank on the right hand side (sitting on bike) compared to the left.. any thoughts?
It could be no more than what I said above - the tanks aren't models of perfection.* But let's see what other people think ...

Ciao

Craig

* To avoid potentially upsetting you even further ;) , there's one fault which I won't even mention here! I never saw it till Tony Brancato pointed it out ...
mgh1955
Mariana

Post by mgh1955 »

Neil,

Fitting of tank
Try rocking it from side to side as you push it on. There is nothing that can break so it's OK to use some force.

Leak
Personally I'd look at a permanent fix by a professional. Cut out rust, re weld, repaint. Obviously a more expensive solution.

Gap
Just the way it is!!

Mick
NeilD
Mariana

Post by NeilD »

thanks for the replies..

it looks like the leak is where the rear tank mount attaches, so I guess the tightening it up/loosening off tweeks the seam slightly, which doesnt help.. I had the same thing on a Guzzi once.. Think I'll give the sealant a try, as the rest of the inside of the tank looks nice and clean. I've had good results from the POR15 stuff previously..

this is my first Ducati after a few Guzzis and a Morini, so still finding my way around it! :-D
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

put some silicone grease on the rubbers before you slide the tank on
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

And, if possible, try to avoid fuel containing ethanol, that will destroy the inside of steel ( and alloy) tanks, will eat fuelhoses and seals and so on....!!

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”