900 SSD clutch cable

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
gioto3
Diana

900 SSD clutch cable

Post by gioto3 »

I got a new original clutch cable to replace the old one that went burnt in contact with the back exhaust pipe and that was really hard in the use. I think the passage of the cable wasn't correct, too close to the exhaust pipe and a very long turn so the cable went short and worked badly.
Follows two pics of my cable and of an immaculate SSD that went out recently on ebay, The passages are quite different, I suspect that in the original one it runs between the main frame tube on the right and the tank before to get the left side. In mine it was just over the lower fork plate and than crossed under the fuse box to get the left side and went in contact with the left exhaust pipe. Have a look at the pics.

This is my bike, the red arrow signs the passages of the clutch cable

And this is the immaculate one

Can someone list the passages of the cable or send some pics please?
Ciao
Giovanni
1980 Ducati 900 SS Darmah
1977 Ducati 125 six days
1972 Ducati 450 Scrambler
1953 Ducati 65 Sport
1949 Ducati CCC 60
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: 900 SSD clutch cable

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Gio,

Yeh, the route on the 'Immaculate One' looks correct. Certainly, like you say, the cable should go around the headstock and then pass along the right side of the frame.

The important thing is to have the special SSD cable holder - part no. 0802.37.025*, item 15 on tavola 5 in the parts book. It screws up into the underside of the top fork yoke and keeps the cable in the right place.

P.s. The '0802' tells you that the first use of this part was on the SSD.

Ciao

Craig
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: 900 SSD clutch cable

gioto3 wrote: ... an immaculate SSD that went out recently on ebay
Do you still have the ebay auction number, Gio?

Ciao

Craig
gioto3
Diana

Post by gioto3 »

Hi Craig,
thanks a lot, I will check but I suspect I don't have the cable holder. Do you know if the cable passes between the tank and the frame or under the fuse box?
The item is no more on ebay, the bike went out maybe on May, it was form a collection in the US and had only 2900 miles, it was bought at about 15000 USD but it was spectacular.
If you are interested I saved for future reference all the pictures, that were in medium definition but very detailed. Maybe I saved the entire page of the auction on my HD, I'll check.
Ciao
Giovanni
1977 Ducati 125 six days
1953 Ducati 65 Sport
1949 Ducati CCC 60
Craig in France
Paso 906

gioto3 wrote:Do you know if the cable passes between the tank and the frame ...
Yes.
gioto3 wrote: .. or under the fuse box?
No.
Ha! Easy to say, not always so easy to visualise :) . So if you can't work it out, let me know and I'll take the tank off mine and send you a photo or two.
gioto3 wrote:The item is no more on ebay <snip> ... Maybe I saved the entire page of the auction on my HD, I'll check.
Thanks. Yeh, photos would be good. Don't suppose you got the frame and engine numbers by any chance?
Craig in France
Paso 906

gioto3 wrote: ... I suspect I don't have the cable holder.
Yeh, when I got my bike, it was missing the holder too.

It's really no more than a piece of bent wire, of course. But you do need it. Tony Brancato in the UK made me one in stainless steel.
gioto3
Diana

Post by gioto3 »

Hi Craig, your help was precious. I had the cable holder in place, just the last owner changed the cable using a very bad route and forgetting to use the cable holder. He did some other very bad works, so I have to be cautious and check every bit.
Just for future reference the cable passes the cable holder
runs between the tank and the main tube of the frame on the right, crosses under the tube just before the throttle cable, passes under the left side of the tank quite far from the back exhaust
Now the bend is very nice, the cable is totally free and can be moved backward and forward without any resistance and the clutch may be operated by an human and don't need Godzilla any more. The clutch is better in the SSD than in my 450 scrambler, so I think to change the clutch cable and find the good passage in the mono.
Now I think I have to check the tachometer cable of the SSD, since I noticed that in extreme turn on the right it goes in tension and moves the tachometer, I'm sure the route of the cable is incorrect and if not fixed it will broke. If you can supply any info please do.
Thanks. Yeh, photos would be good. Don't suppose you got the frame and engine numbers by any chance?
Yes I have the frame and engine numbers, I'll PM you with data and photos
Ciao
Giovanni
1977 Ducati 125 six days
1953 Ducati 65 Sport
1949 Ducati CCC 60
Craig in France
Paso 906

Good stuff, Gio!

Yeh, definitely have a look at the clutch on your 450 Scrambler. I also have one* (Weird, huh? Especially as mine originally came from ... Ferrara :shock: ) and the clutch is very easy to use.

I'll have a look at the tacho cable route on my SSD and let you know if I see anything. I don't remember it being anything unusual, tho' ...

* Here on the Motogiro d'Italia a few years back
gioto3
Diana

Post by gioto3 »

Amazing !
Maybe you can provide too a photo of the clutch cable passage in the Scrambler
Ciao
Giovanni
1977 Ducati 125 six days
1953 Ducati 65 Sport
1949 Ducati CCC 60
gioto3
Diana

Post by gioto3 »

Maybe you can provide too a photo of the clutch cable passage in the Scrambler
Never mind, I found some useful pics at ducatimeccanica and solved the problem of the mono too.
Ciao
Giovanni
1977 Ducati 125 six days
1953 Ducati 65 Sport
1949 Ducati CCC 60

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”