Running in

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
welshmally
Diana

Running in

Post by welshmally »

What sort of mileage should I aim for to run in my '79 900SS following a re-bore? It's done 600ish miles with a recent full oil change, restricting revs to 4000 for the first 200 and now going up to 5000.

Thanks
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Sounds like it is good to go,My racebikes usually got about a 10mi.[5 laps] of easyish running before the red mist descended. Never really had any piston or ring issues. It's not really the revs but the loading that damages new parts.
welshmally
Diana

Post by welshmally »

As little as that? Even with single grade oil? Distances of 1000 miles or more have been bandied around in the past....

Can I send you the bill if she blows up? :lol:

Hugh
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Babying the motor does more harm than good.

Roll on the throttle so you get steady acceleration and go ahead and take the revs up. Sounds like you are being far too easy on things. The rings need pressure so they can seat fully.

You have done plenty of heat cycles I am sure, so go ahead and check the torque of your fasteners and let your wrist do some more twisting.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
welshmally
Diana

Post by welshmally »

Excellent. Now all we need is the wall-to-wall rain to disappear, giving way to endless sunny days. However, in Wales, we have an intimate relationship with rain, and I may have to wait....... :cry: My days of all-weather riding are long-gone.
welshmally
Diana

Post by welshmally »

Out yesterday in the (almost) sunshine. Took it up to 6500 - 7000 a couple of times - feels wonderful!

I posted this in the carb section - adding to Sticky's thread but I suspect it has been overlooked. Any tips appreciated:

"Followed your excellent instructions, up to the point where I needed to adjust the pilot screws. They were, I think, pretty much OK but did not seem to alter the state of tickover when I wound them in or out 1/2 a turn each way. Tickover is at a comfortable 1300pm, and anything lower threatens stalling. For the first time in a long time, I got the nice crisp BA-DA BA-DA from the Conti's. Columns level at tickover and at 2500 rpm

Starting from cold was 3 kicks. From hot, a few more Sad but then, what's new?

Any tips? Not 100% sure what to look/listen for.
Cheers.

BTW using a Morgan Carbtune II - useful piece of kit."

Cheers

BTW Need to repeat the process now that I've put a few hundred miles on the clock.....

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”