900GTS clutch area noise

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
johnnyb
Mariana

Post by johnnyb »

You should be able to remove the clutch and fly wheel bolts using a rattle gun without the need of locking the engine.

If you cannot find a fly wheel puller a sharp hit on the face of the fly wheel (out edge) pops the fly wheel off the taper. Obviously this is not by the book however I was advised by a bevel mechanic to do it like this and I have done it many times on several bevels.

hit at your own risk.

cheers
John in Sydney Australia

Darmah 900sd
900ss
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

For my 1967 Yamaha YM2C project the workshop manual recommended stuffing a rag between the crankshaft and clutch helical gears to lock them so the retaining nuts could be removed. It worked better than putting the bike in gear and depressing the rear brake pedal.

Use thick cloth, a light t-shirt won't jam the gears properly.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
francesque
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: 900GTS clutch area noise

Post by francesque »

Hi again gents, I am back on the job after a lengthy layoff due to various reasons, I have aquired the clutch tool and have now removed the nut and the clutch all seems fine, I have also bought a 36mm socket and the ignition stator nut is off and the stator comes off the woodroffe key. the flywheel gear is solid how do I remove it? the flywheel behind seems to have a lot of to and fro play, and when I pull it against the back of the gear it makes the noise I can hear when the engine runs, so this appears to be the problem area, it's how I remove the gear and the flywheel.
big hammer?
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

francesque wrote:<snip> ... it's how I remove the gear and the flywheel. Big hammer?
Hi Frank

Don't forget there's a copy of the Ducati workshop manual on Steve's site. Go:

http://www.bevelheaven.com/ then Manuals Index (under Technical Information in the column on the left), then 860/900GTS Workshop Manual (and also, 860GT/GTS Workshop Manual Supplement).

(Like mizike77, it's been a while since I've played around down there), but I think page 38 +/- may have some of the answers you're looking for ...

Ciao

Craig
francesque
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by francesque »

I know what the problem is, the flywheel is loose because the screws holding it have worked loose, my only problem is I haven't got a puller for the gear in front of the flywheel, it must be a special tool as there is no room for a conventional puller, can anybody help?
thanks
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

francesque wrote: ... my only problem is I haven't got a puller for the gear in front of the flywheel, it must be a special tool as there is no room for a conventional puller, can anybody help?
The gear is fixed to the flywheel from the reverse side, so you need to remove the whole unit. Have a look at the illustration in the parts book*, page 8 or 9.

* The parts book is also viewable on Steve's site.

And to remove the whole unit, you need puller no. 88713.0117 (as described and illustrated in the reference I previously gave you, and also on pg 197/198 of the workshop manual). I don't recall hearing of anyone getting it off otherwise, but I stand to be corrected ;). I'm pretty sure it sits on a taper, so someone has probably dislodged one using judicious blows of a rubber mallet. The only thing is, the flywheel is in fact the ignition rotor, and magnets generally don't appreciate being shocked. So be wary. If it was me, I'd first ...

Try the UK Owners Club** who have a tool hire scheme. I don't know if they have this one, tho'. But worth a try IMO.

** http://www.docgb.org/membership/index.htm

Ciao

Craig
francesque
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by francesque »

I am nearly there, the problem has been that 4 of the 6 bolts holding the flywheel on had sheared, Thank you to Tony Brancato for pulling the assembly off the crank and replacing the six screws. I am in the final throws of reassembly but am a little unsure of the order of the clutchplates. my haynes manual shows the plain plate with the angled tabs as the first plain plate to go in the clutch basket. I also have a Ducati parts manual which clearly shows this plate as the last one to go in, against the clutch cover with the tangs pointing towards the engine, which is the correct way? I have also noticed one of the friction plates has the inner teeth at an angle, any idea which way round this one goes and where this one goes? (I know i should have marked the plates, in my rush to strip the bike I assumed they were all the same) lesson learnt!
Thank you
welshmally
Diana

Re:

Post by welshmally »

francesque wrote:Thank you again for your reply, The cover has been removed, I left the electrics attached and left it dangling, just out of the way, I have taken the clutch plates out, they seem fine, I have cabletied them in the correct order so they will go back as they came out, what next?
Frank
Thought you had this covered... The best laid plans etc!

Sounds like you're having lots of fun with this. I re-built my 900SS over 10 years ago, and didn't have access to any forums, but John Fallon, formerly of Mdina Italia was a tower of strength, and supplied much 'therapy' (i.e. patient advice) over the phone. He's not the owner any more but still deals in classic Italian bikes, so always worth giving him a call.

I've finally got my SS in a state of reasonably good tune after farting around for years - she's absolutely flying now, so everything you do, no matter how frustrating, will be worth it.

Good Luck

Hugh
francesque
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by francesque »

I thought I had too! I made the mistake of seperating the clutch plates to make sure everything was clean, then the phone went and I got dragged away and then left them for too long and forgot which way they went! have consulted the bevel heaven manual and worked to that and it seems to work fine, I did notice another anomaly, torque settings in the haynes manual for clutch centre nut 4-5kg/m and crankshaft pinion nut 7-8 kg/m. in the bevel heaven manual the torque settings are the other way round! why so much duff information, which one is right?
welshmally
Diana

Post by welshmally »

Just checked in my manual (900SS remember) - clutch centre 10kg, and pinion 12kg, which doesn't really help, but demonstrates which is higher I suppose! Of course, this might be completely irrelevant......... :oops:

Hugh
welshmally
Diana

Post by welshmally »

BTW, your lot are playing our lot at footie this evening. If you're interested. Which I'm not! :lol:
francesque
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by francesque »

I do follow the super rams, sounds like we are totally dominating the game but losing 0 1 at half time. doesn't make sense, a bit like these Ducati manuals I have!!
welshmally
Diana

Post by welshmally »

We have a slight preoccupation with rugby down our way, so football comes in second best I'm afraid!
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

10 and 12kg sound a bit high for the bevel engines. 4-5kg on the crank pinion and 7-8kg on the clutch should do it. Keep in mind the crank gear is on a taper,over tightening can at the very least make it a B---tch to remove later and could cause the gear to split and make a big mess. Those torque specs are out of the 860 manual,the 900ss manual is a supplement to the 860 book.
radecal
Parallel Twin

Post by radecal »

Clutch Drum nut is 7 Kg metre which is 68.6 Nm (Newton metre) and the Flywheel gear nut is 4.5Kg metre which is 44.1 Nm.
8 Kg metre will take it to 78.5 Nm which is a little too much so stick with the straight conversion from kgm to Nm.
RAD

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”