Valve clearance check, valve seals replacement

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
johnnyb
Mariana

Valve clearance check, valve seals replacement

Post by johnnyb »

Hi guys,

Got a couple of jobs to do on the bikes over the Xmas break. Would like to ask for some questions which will help me out.

- Do you recommend removing the heads (easier??) to check/adjust valve clearances and replace valve seals or is it just as easy without removing the heads?
- Can you remove the rear head without dropping the engine or swinging the engine forward?

Any other tips regarding the job appreciated.

cheers and merry Xmas.

BTW....bikes are Darmah and 900SS (not sure if it make a difference)
John in Sydney Australia

Darmah 900sd
900ss
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

You cannot remove the rear head without dropping the engine or swinging it forward in the lower rear motor mount. Yes you can adjust valves with the engine in the bike. Weather or not you can change valve seals depends on what kind you have. My Darmah had both kinds in it....o rings fitted in the guides and conventional scraper type. I dont think you can change the o ring style without removing the heads because you have to drop the valve out of the way.....
79 Darmah
78 900 GTS
86 F1B
80 SSD
02 Harley FXD
72 H2 750 triple
08 KTM 300XC
there has yet to be a motorcycle line made that is as satisfying to ride, hear and look at as the ducati bevels
johnnyb
Mariana

Post by johnnyb »

Thanks for the advice. I had a suspicion the rear head could not be removed without swinging the engine forward.

I think I will have a go with the heads on, if I find it too hard I will remove the heads and do the job on the bench. I have the slip on seals so I should be OK replacing at the same time.

cheers for responding.

Hope you all get some riding in over the Xmas break.
John in Sydney Australia

Darmah 900sd
900ss

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”