Why large price difference for early 900SS vs. 81-82

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
dbmilam
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Why large price difference for early 900SS vs. 81-82

Post by dbmilam »

All,
New to the forum and am looking to buy a 900 Super Sport. I bought "The Comprehensive Vintage Motorcycle Price Guide 2010/2011 Edition", and it lists the price of a #1 condition 900 SS for $25,000 for each year from 1975 to 1980. However, for 1981 and 1982, the price of this bike is listed as $10,000 and $12,000. What changed to make the 1981-82 so less valuable?

Thanks, Dave
Austin TX
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

G'day Dave,

Nobody else seems to be answering, so I will throw my thoughts into the ring.
With old Ducati twins, primarily SS and GT's the earlier the better. The opinion seems to be that the early SS's were made as an all out sporting machine with little consideration of manufacturing cost. Unfortunately, as always happens, the bean counters looked for ways to save money with later versions and the bikes started to conform to cost cutting and regulations, IE Noise ect. Wheels were changed from spoked Borrani alloys to cast versions. the 40mm Carbs were changed to 32's Indicators added and several other changes made. The bottom line is, the bikes are simply worth what people are prepared to pay, and the early SS's are more coveted & collectable, so demand higher prices. Frankly, don't take your motocycle price guide as gospel, cause you would not but a genuine 75 SS for $25,000, and I doubt a 81-82 for $10 - $12 unless of course you guys in the U.S have an avenue the rest of us don't.

Here in Australia, If you could find a 75 SS for sale, I would expect it would bring $50,000, 76 -79 $30,000 + and even 81-82 would get $20,000 + As for the 74 Green Frame, ( Forget it ) name your price.

Hope that helps
Cheers Rick
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
DesmoKid
Mariana

Post by DesmoKid »

+1.
And, as Rick has alluded, the earlier Super Sports are more "desired" but their performance is no better. Good luck finding a SS in the states; maybe you got lucky with that nice 1982 on ebay last week?
Are you talkin' to me?
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

I knew of a 79 ss for 12k . It was for sale for months before it sold. Had been repainted but looked real nice. Maybe I should have bought it and listed it on ebay !
79 Darmah
78 900 GTS
86 F1B
80 SSD
02 Harley FXD
72 H2 750 triple
08 KTM 300XC
there has yet to be a motorcycle line made that is as satisfying to ride, hear and look at as the ducati bevels
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

The best years in terms of rideability and reliability are the Bosch ignition bikes - '78, '79 and '80. The traditionalists like the wire-spoked wheels but there's not much wrong with the cast ones. I actually prefer the look of the Speedline wheels over the other types. I don't think they are as sketchy as they are made out to be if they are properly maintained - mine are still in good shape although I have to admit I built up a separate set of wheels with stainless spokes and Boranni rims.

Except perhaps for those few bikes that were shipped to the US, most of these bikes came with 40s and Contis. Mine came with the big carbs, single and dual seat and both types of mufflers.

I would definately pay a premium for these bikes over the '76s and '77s.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
sevicke
Mariana

Post by sevicke »

your right there Abmartin when Im out touring on my darmah going to rallies and having fun.The other bevels i see are nearly all darmahs (bikes of this vintage) these are the ones that go places. The ones that actually leave there garages and get ridden. wouldn,t be too sure about the older the better. Better investment maybe better for riding nah.

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”