860 piston rings

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
john stringer
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

860 piston rings

Post by john stringer »

Last x-mas i treated myself to a disassembled 860GT. I am in the process of rebuilding the engine, about to install rings and piston onto the rear cylinder. Can anybody advise which of the two compression ring goes into the top groove. one ring is stepped and the other wedge shaped (keystone). Bores are good ring gap is less than 0.020thou so I want to build it up as it is and fettle out any faults then go for a full restore later.

John (ex-Rhodie)
BEVEL DAVE
Diana

Post by BEVEL DAVE »

Stepped in the top usually.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Look carefully at the rings near the ends usually there are etched markings often TOP or UP .Most often the top ring has a chrome facing and is shinier than the second ring which often has a black oxide coating.
john stringer
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by john stringer »

Thanks guys. I have the Ducati shop manual, also the Haynes but neither make any ref. I believe it was in one of Mick walker's books that there was a more detailed illustration but I'll go with your guidance.
Thanks.
As this is my first Duke are there any other tips?? I am paying very close attention to shimming on everything.
jockduck
Mariana

Post by jockduck »

No real problems rebuilding a bevel twin, I did my first one with a Haynes manual and that worked out OK, just take your time and check everthing, previous owners are usually the biggest problem particularly with wiring. There are some horrible suggesions out there for getting around special tools usually involving hammers, making a copy of a genuine tool is not difficult but saves damage now and in the future.
Jock

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”