DARMAH SPRAG BEARING

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
RICHARD BOOTHMAN
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

DARMAH SPRAG BEARING

Post by RICHARD BOOTHMAN »

Hello my name is Rich I live in the Philly area and am struggling to replace teh starter sprag bearing in my 1981 Darmah. Does anyone have any tips or even beter a step by step description ? I have the left hand casing off but don't know what to do next. Can't even see teh sprag, I guess it's behind the clutch ?
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Richard,
bad news : the sprag sits behind the gear on the crank and flywheel.
Unless You have the special puller to get this gear off, no chance of dismantling it any further.
Getting the clutch off makes it a bit easier to dismantle though.
Hope anyone in Your area can help out.
Do NOT attempt to do it with other pullers, You could hurt Your bike or Yourself.
cu
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
RICHARD BOOTHMAN
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by RICHARD BOOTHMAN »

Thanks you have confirmed what I suspected after managing to find an exploded diagram on the internet. Trying to find an experienced repair shop now. Appreciate the help.
johnnyb
Mariana

bad advice

Post by johnnyb »

Hello Richard,

The job can be done at home however there are a couple things:
- when removing (and doing them up again) the clutch basket and fly wheel retaining bolt you will need a rattle gun otherwise you will need a tool to lock the engine (can be made with an old clutch plate) if your trying to use a socket and breaker bar.
- I know everyone is going to jump on this post after reading this to highlight how bad this information is HOWEVER the fly wheel pops off quite easily if you give it a hit on the edge (hit on the face) popping the fly wheel off the taper. I have talked to a couple of bevel only mechanics and this is what they have been doing for years. Unless you take the bike to a bevel expert they probably wont have a puller that fits and even if you do take it to a bevel expert they will probably do it the BAD way but at lease you will be able to sleep at night. I'm not suggesting to do it this way but.....
-the sprag clutch is in the back side of the flywheel behind a retailing plate. Be careful non of the clutch bits fall into the engine when removing the flywheel. My sprag clutch ate itself and turned into 100 bits of destructive metal.
- ensure you oil and install the new clutch in the correct direction.

Good luck...if you need any more bad advice let me know.

I will now wait for the abuse.
cheers
John in Sydney Australia

Darmah 900sd
900ss
toomuch
Mariana

Post by toomuch »

Good info Johnnyb. Worked for me no problem.

Thank you !

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”