Crank wear

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
splanchio
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Crank wear

Post by splanchio »

I have managed to buy back my old 900ss which has been standing for some years and is partially dismantled.I am trying to assess what work needs to be done to get her back on the road.Can someone advise the best way to tell if a crank is shot?How much sideways movement is acceptable if you move the small end of the con rods side to side?Should there be washers between the conrods and either side of them?
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

crank

Post by Lumpy »

No washers inbetween from memory but one either side. End float spec should be in the mannual. I read some where and not too long ago that end float is critical to big end axial wear. I think the reasoning behind it being the rods can tilt at an angle and wear the roller ends.
I`ve also heard guys say they can pick imeninent BE failure by certain marks on the cylinder bore. Can`t confirm or deny that one nor quite understand how it works.
I think that to be really and truely 100% sure the crank needs to be pressed apart. Then it becomes a choice of I`ve come this far......do I finish off and replace it, or put back as is. I think early SS had the straight crank pin and later had the improved stepped set up and maybe bigger rollers, though I`m not sure.

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”