916 crank in a 900 squarecase.

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
hedton
Diana

916 crank in a 900 squarecase.

Post by hedton »

I've got a 900 MHR-82.
I wonder if anyone have tried put in a modern (shellbearing type) crankshaft in a squrecase. I've seen roundcaseengines with 748 cranks. Which basically fits straight into the crankcases. One problem is the shaftlength for the alternatorside and another thing is the stroke. 66mm for the 916 and 74,4mm for the )900 bevel. Could be solved with a higher piston or a longer conrod.

I'd love to have information about this at [email protected]
BEVEL DAVE
Diana

Post by BEVEL DAVE »

I think 907/906 Paso has a 68mm stroke.

Dave.
hedton
Diana

Post by hedton »

BEVEL DAVE wrote:I think 907/906 Paso has a 68mm stroke.

Dave.
Yes that's a bit closer bout i want to know about people who have done somthing similair, with a standard 916 stroke.

Thanks hedton
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: 916 crank in a 900 squarecase.

Post by Craig in France »

hedton wrote: I wonder if anyone have tried put in a modern (shellbearing type) crankshaft in a squarecase. I've seen roundcase engines with 748 cranks.
My immediate reaction is that the lubrication system will need a lot of modification: roller bearing = low pressure, high volume; shell bearing = high pressure, low flow.

But it's not impossible and it has been done - changing to a plain bearing crank, that is. Go http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/kevin_race_engine.html.

Ciao

Craig
hedton
Diana

Post by hedton »

Craig in France wrote:
hedton wrote: I wonder if anyone have tried put in a modern (shellbearing type) crankshaft in a squarecase. I've seen roundcase engines with 748 cranks.
My immediate reaction is that the lubrication system will need a lot of modification: roller bearing = low pressure, high volume; shell bearing = high pressure, low flow.

But it's not impossible and it has been done - changing to a plain bearing crank, that is. Go http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/kevin_race_engine.html.

Ciao

Craig
Thanks alot. Du you recommened to stay with the shorter stroke and longer conrod or higher piston. Or a longer stroke?

Hedton
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

BEVEL DAVE
Diana

Post by BEVEL DAVE »

What are you trying to achieve as a finished product???

A race engine, a streeter, it all depends.

Dave.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Martin Mille / SSD wrote:One to many dot's Craig

http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/kevin_race_engine.html
Woops! Ta, Martin :) .

Ciao

Craig
Craig in France
Paso 906

hedton wrote: Du you recommened to stay with the shorter stroke and longer conrod or higher piston. Or a longer stroke?
Sorry, can't help you there - way beyond my engineering capabiliites ...

Ciao

Craig
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

The big question is why? The crank wouldn't be a drop-in installation.The oiling system would require modification to supply high pressure to the crank.The timing gear drive setup would need to be adapted along with the primary drive etc. If you have a fully equipped machine shop and the skills it could be done but would it be worth it? It would likely be easier to adapt the squarecase sidecovers and make some fake bevel tubes to glue to a beltdrive engine. Read Kevin Brackens article about building his engine to get an idea of what is involved Or try and find a Mille engine to start with.Treated properly a roller crank is just fine and pretty reliable.
paulh
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by paulh »

Talk to Ron Young at Ron Young Enginering in Australia.
Ph/Fax 02 49 388097.

Ron has a lot of knowledge and experience in this particular field and will put you on the right track in your endeavour.
hedton
Diana

Post by hedton »

paulh wrote:Talk to Ron Young at Ron Young Enginering in Australia.
Ph/Fax 02 49 388097.

Ron has a lot of knowledge and experience in this particular field and will put you on the right track in your endeavour.
Thanks alot everybody.

Hedton

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”