Darmah silentium noise levels required for TüV

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
JAR
Mariana

Darmah silentium noise levels required for TüV

Post by JAR »

Can anybody help me to pass my TüV (MOT) test ?
I have a 1979 SD Darmah with Silentium silencers. Although the tester is happy that all is ok, no mechanical defects etc, not too noisy etc
he will not pass the vehicle fit for use because he cannot find any references to specific vehicle parameters supplied by the manufactuer.
Ducati themselves are a complete waste of time in this area and I am hoping that somebody, especially if they have a GERMAN tested bike
can tell me what the noise values are for the the exhausts. They will appear on your TüV document as entries U1 and U3. Alternatively if
someone can point me to a credible internet source which displays these values they would be accepted, but not if I simply write them down myself.

Additionally what is max power @ which rpm and max speed ?

Regards

JAR
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

JAR

It sounds like your tester is a bit of a tool !!!

I would go to your motor registry and get them to dig out the data that they would have in there system as your SD wouldnt be the only one in Germany , your tester would know all of this why is he giving you such a hard time on a 30 year old bike ?

Another thing worth trying would be to dig up some some brochures or magazines that had the first testing of the bike and see if they have the data you require

Our testers here in Australia can be hard at times but never anything like what your saying

Good Luck

Marty
Last edited by MartinMille BANNED on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAR
Mariana

Post by JAR »

Martin Mille / SSD wrote:JAR

It sounds like your tester is a bit of a tool !!!

get them to dig out the data that they would have in there system as your SD wouldnt be the only one in Germany
Because for that service another €100+ will be required !

Its always the same palaver with TüV I had it all with my UK spec BMW had to swap out hundreds of pounds worth of mods because the appropriate supporting documentation was not available and it was infinitely less hassle to buy new than gain retrospective approval. Thankfully the Darmah is bog standard

Herzlich willkommen in Deutschland
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Try another Tester if you can
lomax
Mariana

Post by lomax »

JAR

hopefully I can help you.
I do have a 80 Darmah, that was registrated in Germany. It is not registrated for 13 years now, but I just brought it back in order and will show it the TÜV next spring.
My Darmah is equipped with LaFranconi Mufflers, that have been bored a little (ø20mm through the final two sheet metals).
Of course I still have the old title with all technical specs - may be a copy will help you ?
Regarding the tester, I can just say: look for another tester - there are lots of old motorcycle enthusiasts among them......find one !

Where are you located ? You can call me in Germany: 06431-591676

Best regards

Joe
You are in doubt ?......ask a Kraut ;-)
Cheers from Germany
(Ducati 900 SD, Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K6, Suzuki GSX 1200 Inazuma)
JAR
Mariana

Post by JAR »

Hello Iomax,

many thanks for your offer I think if you have an original vehicle tech spec that would be very useful, as I now have an additional problem in that the bike has new Metzeler Lasertecs (previous owner fitted) which are H speed rated and my tester is also saying that they should be V rated, despite the fact that Metzeler approve only this tyre for this model. Unfortunately as you probably know, a new test is another €100 plus a new 5 day plate and no guarantee that it wont have the same and perhaps even more problems.
I will PM you with contact details.
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

.....and I thought our vehicle inspection regulations here in Nova Scotia were out of control!!!

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
lomax
Mariana

Post by lomax »

@ JAR:

before you get another 5-day licence plate and waste more time to discuss with the tester, it might be much better (faster, cheaper) to bring that bike to a Ducati dealer, who is a friend of old Ducatis and tell him to bring that bike "over the TÜV". Most dealers have a contract with a tester, who shows up at the shop once a week to test bikes. Usually a bike gets its O.K. much easier this way and you should pay much less than € 100,- (no need of a 5-day plate, cause a dealer has a "red" plate for testing).

cheers

Joe
You are in doubt ?......ask a Kraut ;-)
Cheers from Germany
(Ducati 900 SD, Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K6, Suzuki GSX 1200 Inazuma)
JAR
Mariana

Post by JAR »

Just for the sake of completeness and thanks to Lomax:

Max Power 50kW@6750rpm
Max Speed 203kmH
Noise 83 and 84

tyres F 100/90-18 56V R 120/90-18 65V

I got my certificate, despite H rated tyres, and was yesterday pounding the highways of the Black Forest, 400+ Kms didn't miss a beat !

Andy

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”