1982 MHR motor swap

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
toomuch
Mariana

1982 MHR motor swap

Post by toomuch »

Hello everyone

Looking for some answers regarding similarities between a 1978 Darmah motor and a 1982 MHR.

I am aware about the manifold stud spacing. How about the starter side of the motor ? Is swaping motors a good idea ? (darmah motor into MHR) Can you please chime in with what you know ?

Greatly appreciated

Serge
toomuch
Mariana

Post by toomuch »

Paging the mates from down under .....
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

G'day Serge,
You have me intrigued as to why you would swap the MHR engine for a Darmah unit ? There should be no reason you couldn't swap as there were basically little difference apart from the stud spacings as you suggested, unless you have the 1982 update engine with the 3 dog gearbox, which is reputedly better than the earlier 6 dog box. Martin may correct me as I'm no expert on MHR's but I am interested to hear why you want to change ?

Cheers
Rick
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
toomuch
Mariana

Post by toomuch »

Thank you for the reply Rick.

Here how the story goes.
I just purchased a MHR which it turns out according to Ian Fallon is a 1981 The motor needs rebuilt. In the mean time I would like to use a spare motor from a 1980 darmah that I happened to have.

Just trying to have double the fun. Engine rebuilt while still riding.

Bevel addiction you know how that goes I am sure..... :-)

Serge
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

rwhc80 wrote:snip.... Martin may correct me as I'm no expert on MHR's but I am interested to hear why you want to change ?

Cheers
Rick
Hi Rick
LOL I'm not the exy on MHR's by a long shot , I do love my SSD and know a fair bit about it , like Craig in the UK/FR between us theres not much we dont know about them , I'm slowly getting to know about the 76 SS it all takes time
BEVEL DAVE
Diana

Post by BEVEL DAVE »

It will swap straight in, the starter assy. needs to be removed complete from the Darmah, then the MHR sidecover will bolt straight on. Only thing to check for is the selector shaft length, if different they are not hard to swap either.

Where are you located???

Dave.
toomuch
Mariana

Post by toomuch »

Thank you Dave

I remember reading about the gear selector shaft.

Northern California wishing I was down under this time of year. LOL

Serge

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”