Differences ?

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
MitchB
Mariana

Differences ?

Post by MitchB »

Long time Ducati owner, but very new to the "Bevel World"...

For these bikes - how different were the SS's from the GTS's ? Particularly Engine, frame, wheels, suspension..?

Got an itch to build a mild old school cafe bike, and wondering if a GTS could easily be made to perform like an SS?

Thx.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

SS had lighter frames ,
single walled header pipes
different clutch cover and no starter
lighter seat ,just about everything that could be made light is on the SS

Your 860 would be a springer head where the SS is Desmo
you would also most likely have 36mm carbs most SS's came out with 40mm except for the states they had 36mm

apart from that you can make your 860 go like an SS if you spend a little $$$ on it
MitchB
Mariana

Post by MitchB »

Thx Martin.

More research reveals the differences are pretty substantial - Heads, starter, rims, brakes, carbs, not to mention bars fairing, etc...

Suppose a GTS could make a nice Cafe bike - but it'll be a long way from a true SS without a lot of $$$
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

There are plenty of SS look a likes out there , I bought an SSD last from the US that the SS like a like done to it , in all it came with 4777 rims and brakes seat tank etc as well as al the stock SSD gear to change it back it cost me AU$14400 landed take away all the SS gear and still have a genuine SSD at the end I did rather well when you think I can sell all the SS parts for a nice song (not that I'm going to) as these parts bolt straight on my 76 SS once I start on its resto
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

gts ss

Post by Lumpy »

I^ve got a GTS that I`ve cafed up and i`ve had it for years. It`s a good fun capable all round motor cycle. I`ve got an SS I`ve only had for about 3 years now and it`s an aggresive single purpose pain in the bottom in traffic and a religious experience on the open road. That riding position only works at higher speeds. Both of them are spectacular in their own way. Both very very Ducati, both very welcome in my shed
sevicke
Mariana

GTS

Post by sevicke »

why not ride the GTS she pretty and has a proper seat, comfty and can cover plenty of miles without discomfort. Underrated thats great means it didn't cost to much. Must be getting rare too with all the SS ized ones around. When you get out on the road and go to a few rallies your'll know which bike is the true Hero.

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”