SS Hot Start Question

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

SS Hot Start Question

Post by abmartin »

After shutting off my '79 SS for short periods, such as refueling, it often won't fire up unless I hold the throttle wide open. Its always been like this, but will fire up first kick when cold or after sitting for more than a few minutes.

Does anyone else's SS have the same issue? Or is it even an issue?

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Yeah bruce mine is the same way. I figure the heat evaporates all of the gas out of the carbie or something. I always tickle the carbs after a brief stop, can't remember when I figured that one out but hey it seems to work, maybe it will work for you as well?

[you mention that you have to fully open up the throttle to start it....... Doing so squirts a load of gas from the accelerator pump into the throat of the carb, well actually it goes through the carb and into the intake manifold if it is adjuster correctly and the jet is clean....}
Last edited by BevHevSteve on Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

full throttle

Post by Lumpy »

I`ve always been under the impression that you use full throttle when starting when they are flooded. Can`t say i`ve had the issue on a Duc but I have an old XR500 Honda I use to go trail bashing. If she won`t start in the first 2-3 kicks there is a distinct smell of fuel in the air and she won`t go unless you hold her wide open while kicking. If you don`t hold her wide open the only way she`ll go is if you leave alone for half an hour which was what i used to do before i sussed out the full throttle proceedure.
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

Lumpy,

I had the same problem with my XT500. It was always a real challenge to start it. Eventually I figured out that even the slightest turn of the throttle when starting seemed to flood the motor. Now if I leave the twistgrip alone it always starts first kick hot or cold.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

hot starts

Post by Lumpy »

Funny you should say Bruce, I owned big bore Yamaha off roaders for many years and the proceedure for starting those was roll over to TDC compression, grab a handful of throttle and leap on her for all you were worth. They would respond by either starting or kicking back savagely and throwing you over the bars. The Honda however needs to be rolled over just past TDC and leap on her with, as you point out, no throttle at all. All the de-comp parafinalia has long since been removed. Trouble being that various friends, collegues and well wishers who try and start her try with throttle opened. She promptly floods and will only go by holding the throttle wide open,as in, fully to the stop. It was explained to me as allowing as much air in as possible to deal with the very rich mixture in the cylinder when flooded. Might have some thing to do with those twin carbs feeding one cylinder. In any case it works a charm on the XR500.
But follow the usual starting proceedure of past TDC, no throttle and she`s a first or second kicker.
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

Hey Bruce,
Dont know about the trailies, but I have found the same (or similar issues with my SSD and my SS. I do as Steve does, simply tickle the carbs and away she goes. I think it is something to do with heat /evapouration of fuel ( new fuels evapourate very quickly anyway).
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”