Clutch - 5th Gear Problem

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Osred
Diana

Clutch - 5th Gear Problem

Post by Osred »

I recently replaced my 1978 Darmah motor with another, and am now experiencing problems with engaging/disengaging fifth gear. The previous motor did not have this problem, and I am using the same clutch assembly as before. Do any of you have an idea what the problem may be?
"Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme."
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

5th

Post by Lumpy »

I`m guessing the shift mechanism is the same as my 82 SS and all the selector bisso is behind your clutch pack. Remove the clutch and basket and behind there you will find the ratchet type mechanism that changes gears. I`m told that the springs on these are susseptable to failure and as i found out once on my SS, the central screw, it`s a cap screw with a 45 degree counter-sunk head from memory came loose and would only allow me to shift down, not up. She came home on a trailer. I would be changing the springs, cheap insurance, and most certainly buying a small bottle of Loctite (make sure it`s the non permanent type, I forget the number. That permanent stuff is murder to undo, ask me how I know!!!) And Loctite the screws in. I say this because I did manage to wiggle the back wheel while on the center stand and jiggle the gear lever and get it into 5th. I was very nearly going to ride her home in top gear but decided against it. Upon pulling it apart the screw in question was very few threads from falling out and going through the primary drive. Some times it pays to play safe. Anyhow, learn from my mistakes. I never do........

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”