Putting the egine back in the frame..

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Putting the egine back in the frame..

Post by mizike77 »

We mounted the engine last night. It was a wrestling match to get in. I kept thinking there are many beautifly restored bikes out there, and there has to be an easier way to get this in the frame without banging things around! So whats the secret for next time? What is the easy way to get the engine in and out of the frame without scraping or scratching things up?
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Leave the primary and timing covers off until the mounting bolts are in.With the lower rear bolt in place the engine can be swung up into place.Or use a hoist of some sort to lower the frame on over the engine just like in the service manual.Everybody has a cherry picker in the corner of the garage right?
Grover
Diana

Engine in frame

Post by Grover »

Yep, can't agree more there. Leave all the side covers off both sides, makes it so much easier. Invite 2 mates around and use their help, then crack open a stubbie or two after its bolted in, problem solved!!!
The older we get, the more toys we collect!!!
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

I had the same , when I pulled the engine out , I said to myself there is no way that I will be lifting the engine back in place and taking paint of the frame, I will be lowering the frame onto the engine with the side covers off and go from there
sevicke
Mariana

Post by sevicke »

you can jack it in with a trolley jack
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

engine and frame

Post by Lumpy »

I`ve tried `em all and in my humble opinion, take the frame to the engine. I had nothing but heart ache trying to make the motor fit into the frame.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: engine and frame

Post by BevHevSteve »

Lumpy wrote:I`ve tried `em all and in my humble opinion, take the frame to the engine. I had nothing but heart ache trying to make the motor fit into the frame.
yep this is what I have always done. But, any time an engine was out and going back in, the rest of the bike was disassembled and restored so dropping the frame onto the engine with a buddy seemed the logical choice for me. Doesn;t matter the brand of bike either............
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

But sometimes in the pits at a track 500mi. from home one learns to improvise.Keeping the sand out is the biggest problem though!
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Thats the method we used when I built my Harley but that bike was just a frame. My Darmah was a rolling chassis so I dont think it would have worked so well. The covers off and pivoting back in from the rear mount sounds like the way to go for me next time.

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”