Crank rattle? Who rebuilds cranks?

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Desmo900SS
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Crank rattle? Who rebuilds cranks?

Post by Desmo900SS »

Can anybody describe what it sounds like when the crank is getting ready to sign off? I have a noise that sounds like a clutch rattle and does change when I pull in the clutch - but it never goes away... Could this be the dreaded crank pin bearing going south? Once I get back, I will pull the clutch down and see if anything is out of whack, but I thought I would ask around too. Who do you all use when it is time to replace the crank pin?

Thanks
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

Big ends

Post by Lumpy »

Big ends I`ve heard that are on the way out are pretty unmistakable. It`s an audible knock that seems to get louder when you wind it on. Check for metallic particals in your filter.
Desmo900SS
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Desmo900SS »

Lumpy -
So far it appears that the crank primary gear has cracked and is causing a racket. No metal in the filter and the crank seems tight and smooth so here's to hoping a pair of primary gears will cure it!
Thanks
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

rattle

Post by Lumpy »

Wow, thats a new one. Lets hope it`s all good in the hood. Law of averages says just now and again you gotta get lucky.

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”