Darmah Ignition Timing Still Concerned.

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
mcinj
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Darmah Ignition Timing Still Concerned.

Post by mcinj »

I re-wired the ignition pickup coils with plain wire and now don't know if the polarity is correct. As in a previous item I tried using a home made pointer with no success. It should be noted that the bike starts immediately and idles at 1,500 RPM. Being somewhat anal, I would like to be sure that one cylinder is not on full advance, as I'm sure that this will wreck the bottom end and or the piston over a operiod of time. Does anyone have a spare P/N 88713.0132 ignition timimg tool that I could buy or borrow? Aletrnatively if one removes the plug from the case, could one see the slot in the end of the crankshaft move relative to the case? Or does oil fly around all over the place. Is there any other way of verifying the timing by vacuum gauge, or running the engine one cylinder at a time. Perhaps I'm being over fussy but Im really worried about this. HELP! Bruin
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

timing

Post by Lumpy »

My 82 SS had issues with the wiring from the pick-ups to the Bosch boxes under the tank. As it turned out one cylinder was not advancing. There was no mistaking there was a problem however. The bike started easy and idled but anything over idle and it would spit and pop and carry on like a pork chop. Trust me, there was no mistaking the old girl was in trouble. Popping off a plug lead on alternate cylinders should give a fair indication also.
There was a guy on Aussie eBay who was selling timing tools for quite some time. He sells a lot of bevel special tools and always has something on there. I think it was him I bought my gear gazer off and he was great to deal with, very prompt and honest if it`s the same guy and I think it is.
mcinj
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by mcinj »

I finally got the ignition timing right on my Darmah. Used the degree wheel, found TDC for each cylinder and with a timing light hooked into the system was able to see the correct near 6 degree BTDC reading by removing plugs and turning the engine by hand. With starter chain removed. You still get copious quantities of oil from the plug on the clutch case but is can be caught in a tray. It's not like timimg points with alight as the engine has to be turned fairly smartly to make the system work. I even cut the plug for the two pick up leads into the Bosch module so that I could interchange the wires from the pickups easil. (I had rewired using commercial connectors). It only took a whole Sunday afternoon!
Hope this helps somone else. Bruin.

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”