SD900 Oil Change

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
banjo3006
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

SD900 Oil Change

Post by banjo3006 »

This should be simple but has me baffled. The manual tells me the engine should take 5lt which seems a lot but I filled with 4lt and it overflows out the fuel plug/dipstick port so no chance of 5lt.
I did it on the cenrestand so it wasnt leaning towards the dipstick but still seems way too much. Does a portion of the oil need to circulate round the engine or is 5lt too much?
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

I think the last time I filled the SSD it used 3.5L
I fill mine on the C/stand than let it sit on its own two wheels rechecking till its right on level ground
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

also, when I drain my oil, I tilt the bike to the left so that I get MOST of the oil out. I only fill the oil to just above the venter of the 2 lines on the dipstick [with the dip stick just sitting on the case to check]. I then close everything up start the bike and run it a bit, shut it off and come back in an hour to check. Typically I have to add a bit of oil again so that the level is mid way between the lines on the dipstick.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

My '85 Mille takes exactly 5 liter ( incl. oilfilter)
And it has TWO factory drain plugs.....
banjo3006
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by banjo3006 »

Thanks for that. 3.5lt Would seem to be more like it. I think the manual may be a misprint as it said 4.5kg or 5lt and I think oil is heavier than water so 4.5kg should be less than 4.5lt. Thanks.
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

No, 3,5 L is to little, it should take more, did you change the filter as well, let it run, so the filter is filled, and checked again..??
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

My Darmahs take a smidge over 4.5l if I drain them hot on the side stand. Putting it back on the centre stand, I find then that 4.5 fills mine to the lip of the filler hole. After starting it and getting some oil around the engine the oil level is between the marks on the dipstick - I may top it up a little sometimes. As Steve said, if you take the bike off the stands and lean it over, it's suprising how much more you get out and you'll need more to fill them.

3.5l is definitely too little. Lubricating oil is actually lighter than water with typical densities around .89 g/cm3 depending on grades. So 4.5Kg of 50W oil is almost exactly 5l, but I have to say, I don't think I've ever got anywhere near that in mine.
Grover
Diana

Oil

Post by Grover »

I have never put any less then 5 litres in my Darmah....4 litres will flow out, replace cap and start and run for a few mins, recheck later and it takes another litre...this is with a filter change of course.......madness if you dont change oil and filter together, cheap insurance!!
The older we get, the more toys we collect!!!
banjo3006
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by banjo3006 »

I will run and recheck after the oil has circulated. I did change the filter at the same time which was slightly longer and wider than the one that came out. It had the correct part number and fit but I had to swivel the carb slightly to get in but did not have to to get the old one out but it was a tight squeeze. Thanks all for the help.

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”