Ignition pickup polarity, how do I check?

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
mcinj
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Ignition pickup polarity, how do I check?

Post by mcinj »

I rewired my ignition pick up coils on which the insulation had completely disappeared, using some aircraft quality teflon wire. I wasn't sure of the original color code as there were only pigtails left on the coils. I hooked up the wires into the connectors on the Bosch boxes and tried to start one cylinder at a time. Both started and ran smoothly. I don't get that lucky! Now I would like to verify if the pickups are hooked up with the correct polarity. I constructed a pointer to go in the end of the crankshaft with a screw into the crank intending to use a timing light. Nett result, oil all over the bike and owner! Does any one have any experience of how the Darmah engine runs when the pickup leads are reversed and is there any device I can use to verify that the timing advances correctly? Incidentally the engine connected as a twin idles smoothly at about 1,100 RPM and reponds promptly with no backfire when the throttle is snapped open. I have no experience of how Ducati are supposed to run, this my first one.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

sounds like you got em right. If you cross up 2 wires that cyinder will run at full advance all the time. NOT GOOD.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”