Registering an Imported Bike ......what a pain in the......

If you need technical information or help with your BOSCH ignition squarecase Ducati 900SS - Darmah engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Registering an Imported Bike ......what a pain in the......

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Hi All

Well Friday just gone I went to get the SSD/SS registered in Australia NSW this is what you need to do

First of all make sure everything is working on the bike and that there are no oil leaks of any kind and it looks nice and clean
Get your green slip and weigh bridge ticket , get insurance and ride it over to get the blue slip , once you are there you will get told and where is the engineer certificate ummmmmmm yeah right. Thats right because there is no Australian compliance plate a E/certificate is required talk about revenue raising ggrrrrrrr

So she is booked in for next Tuesday to have everything checked out again

Look out Gum they will slug you for the same thing
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

surely classic club rego is the go-in sa you get 90 rides a year-thats near on 2 per week-sounds easier unless you're gunna ride it daily
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Steve you in SA have the best system in OZ

I would gladly stick it on vintage club rego BUT it must be un-modded of any kind and in SA you the rider gets to fill in there own "club ride log" in NSW you have to join a club , big deal but if you want to go for a ride it has to be with another club member and you have to phone and let the Log register of the club write it into his log book , if you dont do that you will get booked by the boys in blue

Its almost worth it to start a club up with your mates that live interstate and sign the log and meet them halve way have a beer or three and head back home
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

hey
i didnt know that-you mean we have the best historic rego and the best roads?
we have to be a member of a club and basically unmodded
we get 90 rides a year-fill in you own log book-club accounts for log books,but not on a ride by ride basis
what do our overseas brothers have as historic rego schemes-maybe your not so bad off
cheers steve
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

I have a bunch of mates in Sydney that have Historic plates on Italian bikes and its no where near as regulated as you make out,and the engineers certificate is not required for a blue slip as well,some of the inspection blokes are full of crap plus some of these bikes are modded up the wazoo,all it takes is local knowledge.The club that runs the historic register is called,Classic Italian Motorcycle Association,you can do maintenance rides anytime but only for a set distance from home,and all it takes to do a bigger ride is a phone call to register the trip as a club run,my club mag has a list of club rides ever weekend and the other clubs do the same so you are covered most of the time with a phone call,rego is $80 I think,bit cheaper than the $600 with the latest green slip rises.If the bike is pre 75 then its pre ADR and does not need to comply with 90% of the std requirements,I still have full rego on my bikes but at some stage Historic plates will happen.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Vince , will look into it for the other bike have you got a number for the Classic Italian Motorcycle Association,
However the engineers report is still needed as the bike has no ADR plate and it is at the top of the RTA requirements list

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... icles.html
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

95960756,Anthony Enriquez
My apologies re the Engineers report,All of the blue slips I have done were for non imported bikes,although I still recon it should not need to comply with ADR if its older than 1975,there are rules and there are rules,my experience with the RTA is you will get typical bureaucratic no,no you cannot do that but if you persist and go up the food chain,in a nice way they end up flexible.I did a crankcase swop,and ended up with a new engine number,I did not get a receipt with the new cases and the seller was not available for a month and got the no receipt no rego story,
after a couple of trys I finally got pissed of enough to ask for the local
manager,all I needed was a stat dec stating the facts and it was regoed in 5 minutes after rooting around for 3 weeks.What the need is a paper trail to cover there arses,BTW one thing that might happen is you get asked to take the bike to the scientific squad at the coppers to check out the frame and engine numbers,thats happened to me a couple of times,they eyeball it for doggy stuff,it takes 5 minutes.
Grover
Diana

Registration

Post by Grover »

Martin you sure these rego blokes aren't having you on, my 78 Darmah does not have a compliance plate, it came from South Australia, hadn't been registered for yonks and it was blue slipped straight through. They, the RTA, could'nt even find it on the Australian Bike register under Ducati, Darmah's aren't or wern't listed, I'd have to look at the papers to see what they classed it as.
The older we get, the more toys we collect!!!
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Yeah I spent 3 hours on the phone on Friday trying to make sense of that these W**k**s are on about , basically because the bike is an import and there is and import approval number registered to it , this is what I have to do, on the other hand I have another SSD that has US compliance it was bought in by a US air force personal into the NT and they just waved it through like there was no tomorrow. Looks like NSW riders get shafted again

And another bike same as yours SA plated and no RTA record on it either go figure
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

Sounds like time to start banging the counter top at your local RTA,best time is 9.30am before the lunch rush,be polite but ask to speak to the manager,they have heaps of discretion to make decisions,any drama and ask to do a stat dec stating the facts,in the long term is does not mater if there is a problem it coming on you the registered owner.Tell them about the other bike,as I said its usually up to weather the manager is a good bloke or not,good luck.I very much doubt there was any differance between bikes in other markets in those days,even now with those clear blinkers on cars that you can hardly see,10 years ago they would not be passed.Years ago rear bike blinkers had to be a huge distance apart,now
nobody gives a dog doodie,some modern bikes have them almost touching each other.

Return to “Squarecase BOSCH Ignition Engines > SD, SSD Darmah, late 900 SS & 900 GTS”